Turkmenistan - Home Of The
"Children Of The Desert"
Hump Day - Day Of Prayer For The Muslim World Vol. 94
"See I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland." Isaiah 43:19b
Turkmenistan, a former USSR republic, became independent in 1991. Though they are scattered among several nations, the largest population of Turkmen in the world reside in Turkmenistan.
The Turkmen people group were known as the "Children of the Desert" for many years. Their culture has been heavily influenced by the both the Mongols and the Arabs who invaded their country and forced the people to become Muslim long ago. They need Jesus desperately!
Here are some things to know.
Turkmenistan: Fast Facts
- Population - 5.9 million
- 80% of the nation lies in the Karakum Desert (world's 12th largest desert)
- 83% of the population are Turkmen
Religion And Human Rights
- 93.5% of population is Muslim
- Only 0.1% of population are followers of Jesus
- Ranks #23 on World Watch List (list of most difficult places for Christians to live)
- Government has very poor human rights record
- One of the 10 most censored nations in the world.
Let Isaiah 43:19-21 inspire you in prayer today.
- Pray for more laborers of the gospel to be sent to Turkmenistan - there is little awareness of Jesus. At least 122 pioneer workers needed
- Pray for the Bible League and their "Project Philip"- a church planting project for Turkmenistan (Acts 8:5-7)
- Pray for Trans World Radio (TWR). This week they debuted their "Silk Road" transmitter for radio broadcasting the gospel and discipleship training into Turkmenistan and other nations on the "Silk Road"
- Pray for these Unreached People Groups in Turkmenistan: Turkmen - 4.9 million & 0.0% believers; Uzbek - 371,000 & 0.0% believers; Tatars - 71,000 & 0.1% believers
- Pray for the small number of followers of Jesus in Turkmenistan. All churches are closed, members are told they can't gather and government scrutinizes them heavily. (Ephesians 6:10)
10/10 Prayer Initiative
Continue to pray for at least 10% of the Muslim world to come to Christ for salvation by the end of 2027.
Dream so big only Jesus can make it happen!
Thanks for praying with us. Your prayers are vital in bringing Muslims to Jesus.
Jay & Marsha Crenshaw
Directors Muslim Outreach USA/MECA