Of Muftis, Mullahs, Sheikhs and Imams
Hump Day - Day Of Prayer For The Muslim World Vol. 91
"Who has stirred up one from the east, calling him in righteousness to His service?" Isaiah 41:2
There are various leaders in the Muslim world, and they go by different titles. Their duties and qualifications are sometimes similar, but their titles may differ around the Muslim world. These people wield great influence in their Islamic communities!
Muftis, Mullahs, Sheikhs And Imams
What Is A Mufti?
- An Islamic jurist who issues non-binding opinions of Islamic law
- Their rulings can cover many things, but these rulings can sometimes bring death to followers of Christ and especially converts from Islam
- Sometimes make rulings on public and political matters
What Is A Mullah?
- Title in Arabic means vicar, master or guardian
- Educated religious men who've studied Islamic law and traditions. Usually have Qur'an memorized
- Teach in Muslim schools (madrasas)
- Primarily applied to Shiite clerics in Central and South Asia, Turkey and Horn of Africa
What Is A Sheikhs?
What Is An Imam? (see encouraging update below)
- Usually a ruler of a tribe. Title given by their father
- Term used synonymously with elder or leader. In parts of Muslim world used for clerics
- In the Arab Peninsula, used for nobility - kings and princes
- From Arabic word meaning "to lead the way".
- Most common usage for a leader of worship at a mosque. Leads congregation in prayers.
- Gives Friday sermons
- Provides religious guidance as Islamic authority or scholar
- Serves in his community
- Pray for Muftis, Mullahs, Sheikhs and Imams around the world to come to Christ for salvation
- Like King Cyrus of Persia - may the LORD move upon these leaders' hearts and call them to righteousness. May they proclaim Christ throughout their sphere of influence. May they begin "leading the way" in counseling other leaders to Jesus.
"In the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, in order to fulfill the word of the Lord spoken by Jeremiah, the Lord moved the heart of Cyrus king of Persia to make a proclamation throughout his realm …"
II Chronicles 36:22
“Who has stirred up one from the east,
calling him in righteousness to his service?" Isaiah 41:2
3. May we, as followers of Jesus, be unafraid to engage Muslim leaders with the gospel - even in their mosques in DFW, the USA and around the world! May we be as bold as a lion (Proverbs 28:1b)
4. Pray for the children in Islamic schools and for members of Mosques to begin to question the teachings of leaders and see the discrepancies within the Qur'an. Pray this leads them on a journey to Christ.
Update On 10/10 Prayer Initiative
We recently got an update from the e3 Partners European team we would like to share:
- 1,000+ Muslim refugees came to Christ and were baptized in the last 12 months.
- Several being trained to take the gospel to their home countries and make disciples.
- One of the European teams is led by a former Muslim Imam who is counseling 20 Imams in his former country.
Join us in praising the LORD for this good news! And continue to pray that a minimum of 10% of the Muslim world will come to Christ by the end of 2027.
Blessings to you all for praying with us today! Thank you!
Dream so big only Jesus can make it happen!
Jay & Marsha Crenshaw
Directors Muslim Outreach USA/MECA