Doing What Jesus Says Sometimes
Hump Day - Day Of Prayer For The Muslim World Vol. 90
But I tell you: "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous." Matthew 5:44-45
Sometimes it is very difficult to do what Jesus says to do! Our Savior declared that, if we want to be His disciple, we must deny ourselves and take up our cross daily and follow Him (Luke 9:23). Though we may not understand His ways, our flesh may scream out in rebellion and it may be at war with our sense of justice, we must follow Him and seek do what He says. In reality, there is no middle ground.
Jesus said the one who loves Him is the one who obeys His commands (John 14:15). And great things can happen when we obey! We are to walk by faith and not by sight!
So today, we are asking you to do something you may find difficult. It might be uncomfortable. Why? We are asking you to pray for the members of Islamic terrorist groups. Their crimes may be heinous, but we believe Jesus would want us to pray for them in obedience.
We are also asking you to pray for those who are affected by their threats and acts of terror. But first, here is a little information about each group.
A Short List Of Major Islamic Terrorist Groups With Brief Descriptions
- Al-Qaeda and its affiliates - globally speaking, it is the most widespread of the Islamic terrorist groups - particularly in the Middle East, the Arabian Peninsula, Central Asia and large swaths of Africa.
- Taliban - operating in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
- Islamic State - After its recent defeat, it is transitioning from seeking a land caliphate in Iraq and Syria to becoming a network for international terror.
- ISIS-K (ISIS Khorasan) - former Taliban members operating in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Uzbekistan and parts of India since 2015.
- Muslim Brotherhood - Began in Egypt and now backed by Qatar and Turkey. Has heavily influenced Hamas. Closely aligned with CAIR (Council on American - Islamic Relations). It seeks great influence in America.
- Hamas - Sunni group operating in the Gaza strip and the West Bank. Dedicated to overthrowing Israeli occupation and liberating the Palestinian Territories.
- Hezbollah - Shiite group based in Lebanon and supported politically and financially by Iran and Syria. Dedicated to Israel's destruction.
- Al-Shabaab - operating primarily in Somalia and keeping the nation unstable. Occasionally, they launch attacks in Kenya and Tanzania.
- Boko Haram - wreaking havoc for several years in northeastern Nigeria and surrounding nations
- Pray for the terrorists themselves - that they would find salvation in Christ. The LORD is the same yesterday, today and forever (Hebrews 13:8). He is the same LORD who saved Saul the Jewish Jihadist on the road to Damascus. May the LORD's mercy and kindness shown toward terrorists each day (Matthew 5:44-45) lead them to repentance (Romans 2:4). May the LORD invade their bedrooms with dreams and visions in Jesus' name! May He do it again. And again. And Again.
- Pray for wisdom for government leaders around the world who deal with Islamic terrorism. May the truths of I Timothy 2:1-4 come to reality for the nations and people dealing with Islamic extremism. Sometimes terrorist attacks increase during Ramadan.
"First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth."
I Timothy 2:1-4
3. Pray for Muslim youth around the world as Islamic extremism seeks to radicalize them. May they find salvation and their identity in Jesus instead of a terrorist group bent on evil and tempting them with the deceptive promises of "belonging."
4. Pray for Muslim children - many are vulnerable and traumatized by war and violence by extremists. At times, children have been used as shields and weapons by terrorists. May Muslim children get exposed to the gospel at an early age and find healing in Jesus. May the faith of children lead entire Muslim families and communities to Christ.
Dream so big only Jesus can make it happen.
Jay & Marsha Crenshaw
Directors Muslim Outreach USA/MECA