New Internship Fair Interview Slots Available
Job Hunt Panel April 14
The Internship Fair is still going on. Many of you have been able to take advantage. I hope your interviews have gone well.
Many of you still have not had an opportunity to interview, but there are still some opportunities. New and previously confirmed organizations have made additional interview slots available. The organizations still taking new signups are below along with the links to the signup sheets (Google assures me that these are shared to all of you through the link provided, but some students have had trouble accessing. If you experience trouble, please email me. Also please don't share the link outside the J-school). Please read the information about the interviews closely. Some require materials to be sent in advance.
The Arizona Republic
Sierra Vista Herald
Perimeter Cycling/All Sports Tucson
KVOA News4Tucson (read instructions carefully and fill out application)
Job Hunt Panel
Need tips on finding a job or internship? Attend our virtual panel discussion with five stellar media professionals. The five, all UA J-school alums, will talk about how they landed their jobs, share career/portfolio advice and answer questions.
• Wednesday, April 14, 4:30-6:15 p.m. (Tucson time)
• Saul Bookman (broadcast), FOX Arizona Sports, social and digital content manager
• Mike Christy (photo and video), Arizona Athletics, photography coordinator
• Jasmine Demers (digital), Arizona Daily Star digital editor and former government reporter
• Nicole Santa Cruz (reporting), Los Angeles Times, staff writer
• Jordan Williams (reporting), The Hill in Washington, D.C., breaking news reporter
*** Regarding COVID ***
Visit covid19.arizona.edu for the latest on the university's response to the pandemic and how it is working to keep students, faculty and staff safe.
If you are struggling with anything and need professional counseling, please visit Counseling & Psych Services.
We are featuring student photography in the listserv below. If you would like to contribute, please email me.
Nikelle Hollender (Red shirt), the captain of the University of Arizona Women’s Club Ultimate Frisbee team, is going over drills in practice in Tucson, Ariz. on Thursday, Oct. 31, 2019. Nikelle is in her fourth year of playing Ultimate frisbee. (Photograph by Abbie Kosoc).
Journalism Internship Opportunities
Please note the ongoing and upcoming internship opportunities below:
- * NEW * USA Today Network
- * NEW * U.S. News & World Report
- News Summer 2021 Intern
- * NEW * Social Media Summer 2021 Intern
- Freakonomics Radio - Stitcher Intern
- New York Daily News
- Sightline Media
- Spectrum News 13 (Orlando FL, but virtual) Summer 2021 Internship
- Courier Newsroom 2021 Internship
- The Wausau Daily Herald Summer Internship - Reporting
- The Fond du Lac Action Reporter Summer Internship - Reporting
- The Detroit Free Press and Chalkbeat Detroit Photography Intern
- KUAN (San Diego) Digital Media Intern
- KNSD (San Diego)
- ABC News 20/20 News Magazine Production Internship, Summer 2021
- Fox News Media Virtual College Associate Program (Summer 2021, Deadline Apr 25)
- Fox Sports Virtual Internship Program (Summer 2021, Deadline Apr 25)
- CNBC (Singapore)
- Digital News Editorial Intern (June 2021 - Jan 2022)
- Feature News Editorial Intern (June 2021 - Jan 2022)
- NBC/Telemundo Internships
- Gannett (USA Today) Internships
- American Public Media
- National Journal Research Intern
- Insider Fellowships (various, search postings here)
- Long Island Press Internship
- New York Post Sports Summer Intern
|Employment/Non-Journalism Internship Opportunities
- * NEW * Part-time Web Content Writer/Editor position working on the Healthy Aging Initiative website. It is a paid position at $12.15/hour for up to 20 hours per week. Please contact Annisa Westcott at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info/to apply.
- * NEW * Sports journalists WANTED
- AZ Sportsnetwork, a small company that covers high school sports across the state of Arizona is interested in any journalism student who would like to write articles, host a blog, or submit photos of sporting events in our area and any that would be streamed online.
- They have been covering high school sports since 2006. We post all of our content online on our website. All credit will be given to student journalists.
- Contact Sharon Pichotta at email@example.com
- Reporter sought in Bullhead City:
- Entry-level reporter to cover city beat—council, schools, local happenings, etc.—for a 6-day-a-week paper in Bullhead City.
- Must be willing to get out of the office and truly “work the beat.”
- Perfect candidate is an enthusiastic team player who has a passion for telling local stories and a desire to learn and grow.
- Contact Mike Boyd to apply/for more info at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The THINK TANK Writing Center is hiring for the Fall 2021 semester! See attached flyer below. Applications are due on Friday, April 9th, at 5:00 p.m. If you have any questions about the position requirements or application, you can contact Kaylin Holden, Writing Center Program Coordinator, at email@example.com.
- *APPLY NOW* High Country News is looking for interns & fellows. Please contact Professor Rux Guidi for more details.
- They provide a $679.85 bi-weekly stipend for interns who work remote from within the Western US + monthly work-from-home allowance. Fellows earn a bi-weekly stipend of $1,187.25 + monthly wfh allowance.
- Arizona Football (who also hire J-school sports photography interns) is looking for some interns to help with some graphic design work. Details here.
- Freelance opportunity with Pinal Central (www.pinalcentral.com):
- Write feature stories for quarterly magazine
- Up to $50 per article
- Contact Joey Chenoweth, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information
- Freelance Writing (will train, $15/hr)
- An internship/freelance opportunity has come in through Professor Rux Guidi to work with Friends of Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge near Sasabe: https://friendsofbanwr.com/
Announcements, Info Sessions & Links
- Register HERE (required) for the Job Hunt Panel on April 14, 4:30-6:15 PM, featuring
- Saul Bookman (broadcast), FOX Arizona Sports, social and digital content manager
- Mike Christy (photo and video), Arizona Athletics, photography coordinator
- Jasmine Demers (digital), Arizona Daily Star digital editor and former government reporter
- Nicole Santa Cruz (reporting), Los Angeles Times, staff writer
- Jordan Williams (reporting), The Hill in Washington, D.C., breaking news reporter
- The Center for Middle Eastern Studies has some internship/research funding for students who will be undertaking online Middle East-related internships in Summer 2021. Applications are due Monday, April 5. Visit here for more details.
- New series of live, online workshops to help you learn more about yourself as a leader. See all the Leadership Workshops in March and April.
- For a list of internships across the nation published by Poynter, please visit: Poynter’s journalism internship database
- Interesting article from the Boston Globe about unpaid internships: Tweet over an unpaid internship sparks renewed debate over exploitation