Afrobeats meets AmaPiano / 🇳🇬 🇿🇦
Kicking off this newsletter with a new release from my current genre obsession — AmaPiano. If I Iike you, I’ve probably already tried to indoctrinate you into the House of Yanos 😈. Anyway, I'm loving DJ Tunez & D3AN's AmaPiano remix of Afrobeats banger "Paloma" (original).
Jazz, R&B, and Trap collide / 🇺🇸
If it's American and made it into this section of the newsletter, it's damn good. Listen to Terrace Martin
” - do it for Malaya's vocals and that sax. And then go check out Terrace's newly released Impedance EP
I'm getting STRONG Little Dragon vibes... / 🇬🇧 🇯🇲
...which is always a win. I discovered Denai Moore
late last year and was blown away her single "To the Brink
"—I think Tony from Soul Surge UK
put me on. Denai's new song "Motherless Child
" is equally impressive; she's definitely one to watch (album coming soon, I think).
Early 2000's Soca/Dancehall Vibes... from France / 🇫🇷
I'm here for this French homage to Rupee and Sean Paul classics - giving me all the early 00s dancehall vibes. I have no idea what Vegedream
something about Rihanna’s rum bum bum
and don’t need to. Vegedream’s “Juste Une Fois
” is a bop.
Roadman tings! / 🇬🇧
Always love when these brothers—they’re real-life brothers—jump on a track. Check out JME
”. Side Note: I could've sworn Skepta featured on another song with the same title, so I went digging and found it - a 2018 D Double E track
with the same name. Isn't that bad... like music biz etiquette... or something?
- Elephant Man made a dancehall anthem for COVID-19 because... Jamaicans 🙃. Check out "Quarantine" (or don't). I'll let y'all know when I track down the dance for it because I just KNOW one exists.
- Is Daniel Caesar still canceled? Asking for a friend who thinks his Spotify Singles releases (of "Cyanide" and "Made to Fall in Love") aren’t too bad. Lmk.
- I discovered Yebba last year on Robert Glasper’s track “F*ck Yo Feelings” and was pretty impressed. But last week, I came across her 2016 Sofar performance and watched it so many times I now know all the lyrics, riffs, runs — I'm still shook. Where do Brits get all this soul!?
- Speaking of soulful Brits, I’m still not over Lianne La Havas’s BBC Symphony Orchestra and NPR Tiny Desk Home Concert performances.
- Major Lazer’s remix of Megan Thee Stallion’s “Savage” is the only version I'm listening to from here on out. Also, what is even their genre/niche anymore?
- Piano fan? (Not another AmaPiano plug, promise.) Ludovico Einaudi’s latest track “Einaudi: Gravity” blew me away at around 0:55.
- The lyrics are a bit on the basic side but there’s something about this beat in ZHU and Tinashe’s “ONLY”.
- I didn't want to have 2 Afro-House tracks up top, but I'm really liking DJEFF and Black Motion’s “Don’t Let Me Go”.
- Christopher Martin decided to cover Bobby Russell's “Little Green Apples” because Reggae covers of Country classics will apparently never stop being a thing.