Labour Against the Witchhunt organises protests against McCarthyite political sacking
Next week, Labour Against the Witchhunt is organising two important events to highlight a particularly worrying aspect of the ongoing campaign against supporters of Jeremy Corbyn.
Stan Keable, secretary of LAW, was sacked from his job at Hammersmith and Fulham Council (a Labour-run council) for saying that the Zionist movement collaborated with the Nazi regime - a well documented if shameful historical fact. He said this on March 26, in a conversation in Parliament Square. This had nothing to do with work. Stan was participating in the Jewish Voice for Labour counter-demonstration in support of Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour Party, called in opposition to the right-wing ‘Enough is Enough’ demonstration. The conversation was secretly filmed by the BBC’s David Grossman, who put a 105-second video clip online.
This dismissal extends the McCarthyite witch-hunt against Corbyn supporters in the Labour Party to the area of employment. We fear that Stan’s dismissal could be the first of many political sackings.
Monday July 16, 5pm-7:15pm
Reinstate Stan Keable! LAW Lobby of Hammersmith and Fulham Council meeting
Hammersmith Town Hall, King Street, London W6 9JU.
(Full Council meeting starts 7pm)
-> more details on Stan Keable’s case here and a model motion here. As his union is refusing to support him, S will have to pay for legal advice himself, which is why he has set up a crowdfunding campaign. Facebook event here.
Tuesday July 17, 11am-1pm
LAW lobby of Labour Party NEC meeting
Venue: London, Southside, 105 Victoria Street SW1E 6QT
More info about Labour Against the Witchhunt
More details and background information on our campaign, click here.
- Almost 7,000 people have signed our ‘Open Letter to Jeremy Corbyn and the left on the Labour Party NEC’
The letter, initiated by Labour Against the Witchhunt and signed by Noam Chomsky, investigative journalist Asa Winstanley, former vice-chair of Momentum Jackie Walker, Israeli socialist Moshe Machover and many more, calls on the Labour leadership to resist increasingly vicious attempts by the right in and outside the party to conflate justified criticism of the actions of the state of Israel with anti-Semitism and to put an end to the witch-hunt against supporters of Jeremy Corbyn. The letter is available online here.
- LAW sponsors include:
- Michael Mansfield QC
- Alexei Sayle, comedian
- Noam Chomsky, author and activist
- Professor Moshé Machover, Israeli socialist and founder of Matzpen
- Ken Loach, film director
- Ian Hodson, president of the Bakers Union
- Launched on October 21 2017, LAW is already celebrating a success: pressure from members, branches and CLPs led to the reversal of the expulsion of emeritus professor Moshé Machover, one of a long line of socialists and Corbyn supporters expelled or suspended on bogus charges of anti-semitism. Machover is now Honorary President of Labour Against the Witchhunt.
- Celebrated film director Ken Loach spoke at our first public rally on January 29 in London. Click here.
Stan Keable, LAW secretary: 07817 379 568