Find below Labour Against the Witchhunt’s submission to the Forde Enquiry.
Table of Contents
The report ‘The work of the Labour Party’s Governance and Legal Unit in relation to antisemitism, 2014 – 2019’ (the Report), gives us irrefutable proof of the plotting and outright sabotage committed against Corbyn, and the hundreds of thousands who joined the party following his election in 2015, to fight for socialist and democratic change.
It is extremely unfortunate that the Report was only produced in the last days of Corbyn’s leadership. Drawing upon primary evidence it shows serious wrong-doing by senior party officials. A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the Left to radically transform the Labour Party and effect progressive change, was ruined by the Right in the party. At the same time, supporters of Corbyn were vilified and slandered, their voices silenced and their votes nullified.
Unfortunately, it appears that this was sometimes done with the knowledge, and occasionally even with the active participation of the Corbyn leadership, as in the case of the expulsions of Jackie Walker and Chris Williamson.
Politically, the Report maps out an attack on Corbyn and his advisors, who had gained partial control of the NEC in April 2018 when Jennie Formby was appointed General Secretary, by a faction of their political predecessors appointed prior to Corbyn becoming leader. Our submission makes the case against the mistakes committed by both factions within the party machine.
The full submission is available online here and can be downloaded as a PDF version here.
--- ENDS ---
More info about Labour Against the Witchhunt
More details and background information on our campaign, click here.
- At Labour Party conference 2018 and 2019, LAW handed out more than 5,000 leaflets and hundreds of Palestine flags and organised successful fringe meetings with hundreds in attendance.
- More than 7,650 people have signed our ‘Open Letter to Jeremy Corbyn and the left on the Labour Party NEC’
The letter, initiated by Labour Against the Witchhunt and signed by Noam Chomsky, investigative journalist Asa Winstanley, former vice-chair of Momentum Jackie Walker, Israeli socialist Moshe Machover and many more, calls on the Labour leadership to resist increasingly vicious attempts by the right in and outside the party to conflate justified criticism of the actions of the state of Israel with anti-Semitism and to put an end to the witch-hunt against supporters of Jeremy Corbyn. The letter is available online here.
- Almost 5,000 people signed our petition urging Rebecca Long-Bailey to distance herself from the Board of Deputies' so-called '10 Demands'. Her refusal to do so has played a big role in her losing in the Labour leadership election, we believe. The petition is available here.
- LAW sponsors include:
- Alexei Sayle, comedian
- Noam Chomsky, author and activist
- Ken Loach, film director
- Ian Hodson, president of the Bakers Union
- LAW’s honorary presidents are Professor Moshé Machover and Ken Livingstone
- Launched on October 21 2017, LAW celebrated an early success: pressure from members, branches and CLPs led to the reversal of the expulsion of emeritus professor Moshé Machover, one of a long line of socialists and Corbyn supporters expelled or suspended on bogus charges of anti-semitism. Machover is now Honorary President of Labour Against the Witchhunt.
- Celebrated film director Ken Loach spoke at our first public rally on January 29 2018 in London. Click here.
Stan Keable, LAW secretary: 07817 379 568