You might notice that some trails are not open or took longer than the norm to open this year…the SMBA would like to provide this quick update on why that is…
Our trail network is managed and maintained by Volunteers, yes we do have a maintenance budget as provided by our Black Diamond Sponsor Program, but we like to save these funds for some of our major maintenance projects (eg. Boardwalk repairs, bridge/structure repairs, drainage repairs, etc.). If we don’t have the volunteer support, we don’t have the capacity to do the general maintenance to open trails after the winter months, major storm events, and so forth. So in theses instances we ask for your patience and your help!
We can not emphasize enough, how much we appreciate our volunteers and are thankful for all that you do and in the same breath, we are hopeful for more volunteers to come forward and help with trail maintenance…so now, you ask, how do I get involved? Well, there are several ways:
- Join our Adopt-a-Trail Program- a program where you sign up to be responsible for one trail within the entire network (see our website for further details);
- Come out to a Work Bee- We host two work bees each year. One in the late spring/early summer and one in the fall;
- Contact us- send us an email, or a FB message and let us know you’d like to get involved. We’ll ask a few basic questions to find out what your skill sets are and where you’d be best fitted;
- Come to an Executive Meeting- Meetings are open to the public whenever, just let us know in advance you’d like to come and we’ll make sure you know the deets;
- And new this year: Trail Brigade
- SMBA selects projects based on member feedback and executive priorities at the AGM;
- The Brigade will put out a schedule of projects and dates (coming in the next week) for folks to sign up for;
- MEMBERS touch base with the Brigade Project Lead for a day that works for them and the work begins!
Questions? Concerns? Curious? Email us here, or FB Message us here