The Perfume Islands
Hump Day - Day Of Prayer For The Muslim World Vol. 126
"Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb... these are the true words of God." Revelation 19:9
Today we take a look at a group of islands nicknamed "The Perfume Islands" due to the abundance of aromatic ylang-ylang trees whose oils are used in many perfumes.
These "Perfume Islands" are called the Comoros Islands. They are found between Mozambique and Madagascar and are part of what is called the "Swahili Coast."
Comoros Islands - Fast Facts
Comoros Islands - Religion
- Population - 851,000
- Three of the four main islands became the independent nation of "Union of Comoros" in 1975.
- The 4th island, Mayotte, remains a French colony.
- The nation has had at least 20 coups or coups attempts since their independence!
- Poverty, disease, malnourishment and illiteracy are common. Ranks among the 20 poorest nations in the world.
Comoros Islands & Marriage
- 98% - Sunni Islam
- Any form of Islam outside of Sunni is outlawed
- Their practice of Islam is mixed with occultism and spirit possession
- Abandoning Islam or converting to another religion is a crime - sometimes worthy of capital punishment
"The grand marriage is a must, just like death. It's a glass you have to drink from."
There are two types of marriages on the Comoros Islands - small and grand. The small is simple and lightly attended. But the "Grand Marriage" is a major social event. Consider:
- The "Grand Marriage" is a symbol of social status
- It often requires a year of preparation after the "small" wedding
- There are two weeks of celebration that takes over all activities in any given village
- Many brides go through 6 months beauty preparation
- Polygamy is quite common
10/10 Prayer Initiative
- Pray that gospel laborers of the harvest would be sent. Pray for Christian workers to come help with humanitarian needs listed above under "Fast Facts." Through them, may the fragrance of Christ be more apparent than that of ylang-ylang trees and draw Comorans to Jesus. (II Corinthians 2:14-15)
- Resistance to the gospel has been very strong in the past. It is a spiritual battle! Pray for this resistance to be removed in Jesus' name. (II Corinthians 10:4-5)
- Comorans know that death is inevitable for everyone. Pray they would begin to question their life after death and find the necessary answers in Christ. (Hebrews 2:14-15)
- Pray that Comorans would hear about the "Wedding Supper of the Lamb" and long for an invitation to attend be extended to them. (Revelation 19:9)
Please continue to pray that a minimum of 10% of the Muslim world would come to Christ by the end of the year 2027. Pray for new prayer laborers to be raised up for intercession.
Blessings to you as you join us in prayer today! Thank you for doing so!
Dream so big only Jesus can make it happen!
Jay & Marsha Crenshaw
Directors Muslim Outreach USA/MECANA