Islam And Miraculous Water?
Hump Day - Day Of Prayer For The Muslim World Vol. 150
"You give them drink from your river of delights." Psalm 36:8
One thousand Muslim pilgrims just completed the annual Hajj pilgrimage. The pilgrimage features an element that plays a critical role - something you may not have known about.
But first - for eons, man has searched for the magical powers of waters, potions and elixirs. Legend would tell us that the Spanish explorer, Ponce de Leon, once set sail for Bimini in search of the mythical "Fountain of Youth."
It is no different in Islam! So today, we introduce you to something that sounds like an exclamatory phrase from Robin in a Batman comic. It's called Zamzam!
Since the Hajj's beginning, Zamzam has played a vital role in the pilgrimage, and like the "snake oil" peddlers of the Wild West, unscrupulous salesmen promote the powers of Zamzam and sell it around the world!
"Holy Zamzam, Batman!"
So... What Is "Zamzam?"
Like Christianity and Judaism, Islam recounts the story of Hagar and Ishmael after Abraham had sent them away (Genesis 21:8-21). When Hagar and Ishmael ran out of water on their journey in the Beersheba wilderness, the LORD supplied water for them from a well to keep them alive (v. 19).
In Islam, the well is called "The Zamzam Well", and its water is called "Zamzam Water." Though the Biblical account puts the well in the wilderness of Beersheba (Israel), Muslims believe the well is really located in the Masjid al-Haram in Mecca, Saudi Arabia -- 66 feet east of the Kaaba - the holiest site in all of Islam.
Why Is Zamzam Water Important To Muslims?
According to Islamicity (The Global Muslim eCommunity) :
Zamzam Water's Miraculous Powers? What Muslims Believe
- Every Muslim conducting the Hajj pilgrimage drinks from the water of Zamzam
- It is a ritual that connects all Muslims around the world. It is seen as a unifying thread!
- Muslims also believe the ritual of drinking Zamzam Water connects every Muslim to Muhammad, Abraham, Ishmael and Hagar
Due to the Zamzam Well's supernatural beginnings, Muslims also attribute extraordinary powers to Zamzam Water.
Zamzam Water And The Hajj 2020
- Ibn 'Abbas (an important early Islamic scholar) reported that the Muhammad said, "The water of Zamzam is good for whatever one intends while drinking it."
- According to Dawn Travels (a major booking agent for Hajj pilgrims), Muhammad believed the water "would cure illnesses."
- Allegedly, Muhammad would sprinkle the water over the sick and tell them to drink the water to get well.
- Hajj pilgrims annually take Zamzam Water to sick relatives back home
Zamzam Water And Controversy
- Pilgrims could not drink from the dispensary (see photo below) due to the corona virus.
- Zamzam Water could only be drunk from sanitized bottles during the Hajj
- Considering 8,505,623 liters of Zamzam Water was drunk in Hajj 2018, there was a huge decline in consumption in 2020
Controversy exists between the scientific community, skeptics and the Saudi government regarding Zamzam Water. Why?
Prayer Needs Today
- A BBC study conducted in 2011, found that Zamzam Water sold in the UK was high in arsenic, nitrates and harmful bacteria. Therefore, they labeled it "dangerous."
- Saudi authorities conducted their own study through W.H.O. and claimed the arsenic level was lower and that Zamzam Water was safe.
- It is illegal to sell Zamzam Water in the UAE, and it is sold only with serious warnings to Muslims in the UK.
Let us use these verses to guide us in praying over the Muslim world for the salvation of a minimum of 10% of the Muslim world by Jan. 1, 2028:
"You give them drink from your river of delights. For with you is the fountain of life; in Your light we see light." Psalm 36:8-9
"There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells." Psalm 46:4
"Whoever drinks the water i give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."
"Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's Book of Life. Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations."
Revelation 21:27 - 22:1-2
The first 30 days of the Yemen Campaign ends on Sunday, Aug. 9. Please pray:
- For the last few days of the campaign - salvation of souls, video views and downloads, digital Bible downloads
- For the next 30 days of developing those who have put their faith in Christ - for spiritual growth and for our responders who are discipling / training and answering questions
A huge thanks for praying with us today! May great blessings be upon you!
Dream so big only Jesus can make it happen!
Jay & Marsha Crenshaw
Directors Muslim Outreach USA/MECANA