A Root Of Terrorism
Hump Day - Day Of Prayer For The Muslim World Vol. 144
"Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them." Matthew 7:19-20
A root of terrorism sprung up almost 1300 years ago in the Najd area of Saudi Arabia. The fruit from this root has been seen around the world.
This root has a name, so let us introduce you to Wahhabism - also called the Salafist Movement. Wahhabis actually prefer to be called Salafis.
So... for this newsletter's purpose, we will just use the terms Salafi or Salafism.
What Is Salafism?
- An ultra conservative movement and doctrine within Sunni Islam
- The term "Salafis" refers to the first three generations of Muslims including those at the time of Muhammad
Salafism - Fast Facts
- Estimated at 50 million people (2% - 3% of world's Muslim population) and growing
- Its founder is seen as the first modern Muslim fundamentalist and extremist
- Osama bin Laden was a Salafist
- Primarily found in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE and Egypt
Salafism Primary Beliefs
- Literal interpretations of the Qur'an and Sunnah (life and practices of Mohammad)
- Advocate a return to "TRUE ISLAM" -- that practiced by the first 3 generations of Muslims
- See themselves as the PURE Muslims on the ONLY path of Islam
- Completely reject modernity and secularism
- Rejects both Shia and Sufi Islam's beliefs and practices
- Anything deemed as "NOT TRUE ISLAM" by them could be eradicated.
Salafism - Its Influence
Though their percentage among Muslims worldwide is low, the influence of the Salafis is extensive. Why? How does it spread?
- Using oil money, Saudi Arabia helps fund much of the cause
- Saudi Arabia, the guardian of Mecca, is the most important and most holy place in all of Islam
Salafism And Terrorism
All of the following terrorist groups are rooted in Salafism:
- Boko Haram
- Muslim Brotherhood
Praise the LORD that His arm is not too short to save! (Isaiah 59:1)
10/10 Prayer Initiative
- Pray for laborers of the gospel to be sent among Salafis around the world - especially in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE and Egypt.
- Pray for the salvation of Salafis - that they'd spring up from the "root of Jesse" (Romans 15:12) and develop into "oaks of righteousness - a planting of the LORD for the display of His splendor." (Isaiah 61:4b)
- Pray for dreams, visions and miracles among Salafi terrorists in Boko Haram, ISIS, Al-Qaeda and the Muslim Brotherhood that would draw them to Jesus
- Pray the number of Salafis standing against terrorism would grow and become more influential
Pray for a minimum of 10% of the Muslim world to come to Christ for salvation by Jan. 1, 2028 (180 million souls). Ask the LORD to provide all the partnerships needed for completing the task.
Thank you for teaming up with us in prayer again today. What a blessing it is to link hands with you!
Dream so big only Jesus can make it happen!
Jay & Marsha Crenshaw
Directors Muslim Outreach USA/MECANA