Of Scythians And Silk Road -
A Look At Kazakhstan
Hump Day - Day Of Prayer For The Muslim World Vol. 148
"Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls." Jeremiah 6:16
Ever wonder where the violent Scythians of Colossians 3:11 roamed or where much of the ancient Silk Road ran that connected Europe and Asia? Well... look no farther than the present day nation of Kazakhstan. We focus our prayers there today.
Kazakhstan Fast Facts
- Population of 18.8 million
- 1/2 of population is under 30 and 1/4 of population is 15 and under!
- Officially became independent of former USSR on Dec. 16, 1991
- In area, the world's 9th largest nation and the world's largest land locked nation
- Has most dominant economy in Central Asia - 60% of region's GDP
Kazakhstan Facts On Religion
- 70% Muslim
- 25% Christian (virtually all Russian Orthodox)
- 0.61% Evangelical believers
Kazakhstan - Huge Archaeological Discovery
In 2016, an important archaeological discovery was made opening doors for spiritual conversation for Jesus followers. Seven Christian gravestones engraved with Nestorian crosses were discovered along the Silk Road near Kazakhstan's border to China. This was important for two reasons:
- It proved that Christianity had been in Kazakhstan BEFORE Islam.
- For years, Kazakhstan held a belief that Christians were Russian. The discovery showed that ancient ethnic Kazakhs had been Christian BEFORE the Russians came.
Kazakhstan And Persecution Of Jesus Followers
Kazakhstan is #35 on the World Watch List of nations with the worst persecution of Jesus followers. An uptick of persecution began in 2015 with the following results:
Prayer Needs For Kazakhstan (JF = Jesus Followers)
- Increased government surveillance, raids on meetings and arrests (see photo & story below)
- Unregistered churches have gone underground
Let us begin by praising the LORD for:
- House churches began spreading when Kazakhstan became independent in 1991
- The archaeological discovery in 2016 creating opportunities to share the gospel
- E3 Partners' recent work among the Uyghurs of Kazakhstan. (Uyghur stats below)
- For laborers to be sent to and salvation to come from the following people groups: Kazakh - 12 million & 0.07% JF; Uzbek - 528,000 & 0.00% JF; Uyghur - 337,000 & 0.00% JF; Tatar - 227,000 & 0.09% JF; Azerbaijani - 98,000 & 0.00% JF
- For Muslim youth - the next generation. Pray the LORD would reach them at an early age (see photos below)
- Pray the church would catch a vision and develop Spirit inspired strategies for reaching the largely nominal Muslim population with the gospel
- Pray for persecuted believers
Please continue to pray for the Yemen evangelistic campaign that began July 9. More stats coming soon. Yemen is being reached with the gospel!
10/10 Prayer Initiative
Please keep praying for at least 10% of the world's Muslim population to come to Christ by Jan. 1, 2028. May the LORD supply every need to make it happen.
Thanks again for praying with us today. May the LORD bless you richly for your faithful intercession!
Dream so big only Jesus can make it happen!
Jay & Marsha Crenshaw
Directors Muslim Outreach USA/MECANA