The Bedouins Of Israel, Gaza &
The West Bank
Hump Day - Day Of Prayer For The Muslim World Vol. 120
"To the praise of the glory of His grace, wherein He hath made us accepted in the beloved." Ephesians 1:6
Last week, we began a prayer series on the Bedouin people. You may find it unusual to know that the historically nomadic Bedouins also live in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank.
Between Israel, Gaza and the West Bank, Bedouins number about 145,000, and many live in the Negev of southern Israel.
Some History Of The Bedouin Since 1948
- When Israel became a nation, most of the Bedouin were rounded up and put under military rule in southern Israel
- If Bedouin tried to leave this area and resume their nomadic ways, they were shot! This lasted until the 1960s.
- The Israeli government created a "reservation" system of recognized towns. Some Bedouin have gone to these towns, but many have preferred to live in the desert in "illegal" villages
- In many ways, things have changed for the Bedouin, as some have traded their camels for a car and adapted to a more modern life
Two Classes Of Bedouin
Fast Facts About The Bedouin Of Israel, Gaza And The West Bank
- The "true" Bedouin - They are the more nomadic shepherds.
- The Fellahin - They live on the edge of the desert and have settled more into farming
- Birthrate among the Bedouin of Israel is among the highest in the world. Bedouin population has grown 10 fold since 1948 and doubles every 15 years!
- 54% of the Bedouin population is < 14 yrs of age!
- Polygamy is common. In the Negev, about 30% are involved in polygamous relationships! In some places the number is closer to 50%!
- High unemployment and crime accompanied by a growing Islamic fundamentalism characterize much of the Bedouin community
End Of The Year Giving
- Pray for harvest laborers to be sent among the Bedouins of Israel, Gaza and the West Bank. At least 3 workers are needed to labor, to learn the Bedawi language and the culture.
- Pray for the salvation of the 145,000 Bedouin souls in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank. They are very close to 100% Muslim, as extremely few have become followers of Jesus - almost 0.00%. An "orphan" spirit characterized by rejection exists among the Bedouin. Pray they would find acceptance into the beloved of Christ (Ephesians 1:5-14). Pray the power of this spirit over them would be broken in Jesus' name.
- Pray for the women and children among the 30% of Bedouins where polygamy plagues them. Various abuses and abandonment is common. May the LORD reach them and provide for them. Pray that polygamy would cease among the Bedouin.
- Pray for translation of scriptures in Bedawi - the language of the Bedouins. They are closing in on translation.
- 10/10 Prayer Initiative - Pray for funding and partnerships to be developed and sustained to accomplish the goal of seeing 10% of the Muslim world come to Christ by the end of 2027.
The New Year is almost upon us, and this is a great time to make an "End of the Year" gift. Our goal is to reach the Muslim world with the gospel and mobilize the church to do likewise. Your tax deductible gift goes a long way in helping us accomplish that goal. Would you please pray and consider partnering with us? Giving is simple, as you can click on one of the links below to make a donation. Thank you for your consideration!
If you have questions about making a gift, please contact us.
Hump Day Prayer Newsletter And The Holidays
With both Christmas and the New Year falling on Wednesday this year, the Hump Day prayer newsletter for the Muslim world will not be sent out. We will resume sending it out to you on January 8.
We are blessed to have you praying with us today! Thank you for doing so!
Jay & Marsha Crenshaw
Directors Muslim Outreach USA/MECANA