Idlib - Final Battle In The Syrian War?
Hump Day - Day Of Prayer For The Muslim World Vol. 124
"Arise, LORD! Lift up Your hand, O God. Do not forget the helpless." Psalm 10:12
For well over a year now, a province called Idlib in northwest Syria, has been under attack. Airstrikes and shelling take place daily in many towns and villages.
Due to the lengthy war, the international community has begun to forget the conflict. It is time for a wake up call!
What makes this province significant? What is happening? How can we pray?
Idlib Province - Some Basic Facts
Idlib Province & Syria's President Assad
- Population - 4 million people. Three million (mainly women and children) trapped in war zone.
- Presently experiencing the worst bombing ever seen in the 9 year old Syrian war!
- A major humanitarian disaster!
- Idlib is host to displaced people from all over Syria.
Idlib Province's Humanitarian Crisis
- Goal in Assad's recent offensive - eliminate radical jihadist terrorists and the remaining rebel opposition.
- Assad sees Idlib province as the last opposition stronghold to his rule in Syria.
- Therefore, Assad sees his offensive as a final confrontation - possibly an end to the war. Already his army has taken control of 1/3 of Idlib province!
- The offensive is drawing in major players from the world's stage, as Assad's army is Russian & Iranian backed, and the opposing Syrian National Army is Turkish backed. The seriousness of the situation prompted meetings with U.S. officials.
- Home to 1,150 refugee camps.
- Approximately 1.2 million displaced Syrians in Idlib province.
- Doctors and nurses are targeted if they work in non-government controlled areas!
- 1 child is killed each day from Syrian and Russian bombs and missiles! (The Independent 1/21/20)
- Getting aid there is almost impossible
- On Jan. 28, 2020 - 40,000 people fled the province for Syria! (Hurriyet Daily News 1/29/20)
- In particular, pray for the women, children, doctors and nurses of Idlib province. May the LORD watch over them and protect them during this crisis! (Psalm 10:12-18)
- Pray that aid could make it to those in desperate need in the province
- Syrians have begun to flee by the droves from Idlib province. This means places like Turkey (3.6 million Syrian refugees already), Greece and other nations may become more overburdened than they are already. Pray that hearts would be prepared for Jesus.
- Pray that Christ would make His name more famous in this Syrian crisis. Pray that He would become known in every way imaginable. May He send more laborers of the harvest into the situation - whether in Syria or even other nations. May salvation come to these people (Psalm 34:18)
Praying For Leaders
Per I Timothy 2:1-4, pray for Bashar al-Assad (Syria), Vladimir Putin (Russia), Recep Erdogan (Turkey), Hassan Rouhani (Iran) and President Trump. This is a very complicated and difficult situation! Though indirectly, even Libya is involved! (Ezekiel 38 & 39)
Your prayer partnership is invaluable! Thank you for taking time to pray with us today!
Dream so big only Jesus can make it happen!
Jay & Marsha Crenshaw
Directors Muslim Outreach USA/MECANA