The Deobandi Movement - What You Should Know
Hump Day - Day Of Prayer For The Muslim World Vol. 143
"God is not a man that He should lie."
Among the Sunni Muslims of South Asia, there is a dominant subset. This subset is led by individuals known as the Deobandis who practice an extremely conservative form of Islam.
What should we know about them?
The Deobandi Movement
The Deobandi Movement began in 1866 in the city of Deoband in the Uttar Pradesh province of India.
Shortly after they began, they opened the Darul Uloom Deoband seminary. To this day, it remains a key to the Deobandi Movement -- sending Islamic scholars all over the world and handing down fatwas (religious edicts) that impact Deobandis everywhere.
Why The Deobandi Movement?
The movement began for two primary reasons:
- To revive and preserve Islamic culture and fundamental beliefs
- To combat British imperialism
The Deobandi Movement - Primary Goal
- Equip and encourage graduates of the movement to start mosques (places of worship) and madrassas (schools) all over the world
Effects Of The Deobandi Movement
- Though not the majority among Muslims in India, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh, they run the majority of the madrassas
- Expanded to UK, S. Africa, Canada and USA
- 100,000+ madrassas worldwide identify as Deobandi
- Majority of Muslim clergy in Afghanistan are Deobandi
- Prominent Pakistani and Afghan Taliban leaders have studied at Deobandi seminaries
- Heavily influenced by Saudi Arabia - funding and its Wahhabi form of Islam
- Deobandis - the most influential and largest single Muslim group in UK (45% of UK's mosques and almost 100% of UK's training of Islamic scholars)
The Deobandi Movement - A Distinguishing Primary Belief
- God is fully capable of lying due to His omnipotence
The Deobandi Movement - Reason For Skepticism
Though Deobandi leaders have condemned terrorism in recent years, the U.S. asked the Pakistani government to close 600 Deobandi madrassas identified as havens for terrorists in 2017.
- Pray for gospel laborers to be sent into the lives of Deobandis around the world to tell them about Jesus - particularly in the UK
- Pray for the salvation of Deobandi leaders - that their leadership skills could be put to use for the Kingdom of God and His glory.
- Pray against the Deobandi belief that God can lie. Pray for satanic strongholds to be destroyed in Jesus' name. They have been deceived by the "father of lies". (Hebrews 6:17-18). All of God's promises are "yes" and "amen" in Jesus, because it it impossible for God to lie.
- Pray that Deobandi worldwide expansion plans would be frustrated in Jesus' name.
10/10 Prayer Initiative
Pray 10% of the Muslim world would come to Christ for salvation by Jan. 1, 2028. May the LORD supply every need to accomplish this goal!
May the LORD bless you for your intercession today! Thank you!
Dream so big only Jesus can make it happen!
Jay & Marsha Crenshaw
Directors Muslim Outreach USA/MECANA