Hi <<First Name>>!
Last time, I told you about the upcoming Books As Art
exhibition. The photos above are the base of another book I will be showing, "The Horticulturist". It's a garden theme (obviously, hence the name!) with a good scattering of New Zealand flora in there. The inspiration from this piece comes from my hopefully-soon dream of building a veggie garden, the beautiful surroundings of the Otago Peninsula, and the warm, golden autumn sunshine.
For this book, I used a mix of:
- old brown packaging paper
- dated wallpaper from an op shop
- pages from an ex-library gardening book
- a couple of pages from a falling-apart-at-the-seams vintage fairy tale book
- handmade paper with embedded pressed flowers
- green cotton (backed with iron-on interfacing, which I promise I will do a video on sometime!)
Embellish! This is when I gather a pile of paper-y things (and a few non-papery things), as well as some washi tape rolls that fit with the theme. I'm thinking greens, golds, and florals; this piece feels very warm, so I'm avoiding cool blues.
I then go through each spread of pages, and build something incorporating new materials with the elements already on the page. As this is a gardener's journal, there will be lots of pockets and tuck spots, and I may also include some painting. Below is a spread with a couple of pocket styles I may include.