|eNews November 2014
Thank you Wendy, welcome Gillean
Since the 1980s, Wendy Toulmin has been the driving force in Langham Australia.
Wendy was part of the team that formed the Langham Trust down under in 1980-81 to raise funds and awareness of the Trust's work in Australia.
Fast forward to 2001, when the Trust was restructured to become part of Langham Partnership International. Wendy became the Chief Executive of Langham Partnership Australia (LPA), a role she has continued until 2014.
With Wendy's guidance and leadership, LPA has become a significant contributor to the worldwide Langham Partnership, including active support for each of the three global Langham programs: Scholars, Preaching and Literature.
But all good things come to an end, and Wendy believes it is time to move on. We are truly grateful to God for her enthusiasm, efforts and leadership over the years, as she now prepares to leave Langham in early December and take up a new challenge.
Gillean Smiley currently works for Peirson Services in Brisbane after working in senior executive roles in the South Australian Public Service the SA Bible Society and the Bible Society in Australia.
Gillean has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer of LPA, and attended the Langham Partnership International Council in USA at the start of November, prior to commencing full duties later this month.
Gillean’s appointment opens a new chapter in LPA’s work in Australia. We look forward to your continued support for that work.
Please pray for
- Wendy as she explores where God would now have her work,
- Gillean as she begins work with Langham this month, and
- both Wendy and Gillean during the transition period in late November.
Thank you Wendy. Welcome Gillean.
Chair, Langham Partnership Australia
Langham Australia November 2014 Newsletter now available
In this issue:
- Chris Wright writes: Thank you Wendy!
- Welcome Gillean
- Langham Preaching: what's it all about?
- Home is where God;s people are
- Words to build bridges with: Publishing for unity in Burma (Myanmar)
- Farewell to Ronald Lal Din Suah
- In the midst of ebola
- A Call to Prayer for the Church in Sierra Leone & Liberia
[ if you would like printed copies — delivered to Australia only — contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
or phone 02 4751 9036 ]
|For your prayers
- South Asia: Pray for the team working on the South Asia Bible Commentary, that they will have wisdom, skill and the necessary time to finish writing and editing this important resource.
- Farewells: The contribution of two dedicated servants of this ministry is coming to a close: Emmanuel Oladipo (Regional Coordinator, Anglophone Africa) is retiring and Wendy Toulmin (Regional Coordinator, Pacific) is stepping down from her role as CEO, Langham Partnership Australia. They will be missed. Give thanks with us for their service - and pray with us for their replacements.
- Middle East North Africa: A date has been set for an initial meeting in Amman (Jordan) in March 2015. Please pray that the right participants will be identified and that they will be responsive to the invitation to attend.
- Database: Give thanks for the work done by Claire Bennett on developing a more complete database of all the coordinators and facilitators at work around the world. They are the key people in this ministry. Please pray for the plans to communicate with them more regularly and to encourage them.
- Kenya: Please pray for one of our Hippo publishers in Nairobi who is facing big challenges. Pray that God will provide the much-needed resources at this time as they continue their vital work in this region.
- Madagascar: Praise God for the successful launch of the Malagasy Africa Bible Commentary last month. It was a wonderful time of celebration. Please pray that as the commentary is distributed in this country that all the work our teams have done for the last five years may bear much fruit as the people read and use it.
- Nigeria: It is very encouraging that the Hausa edition of the Africa Bible Commentary goes into production next month. Please pray for those who are overseeing the next phase of this project and the responsibilities that they carry.
- USA: Please pray for the Langham USA Scholar Consultation to be held near Chicago from the 6th to the 8th. Nine scholars from the Majority World who are currently studying in the USA and Canada will be attending, and making presentations about their work. This is a vital time of prayer, Bible study, training and fellowship for our scholars as they prepare for their work in the Majority World. Ian Shaw and Fred Gale will be leading their time together.
- Germany: Please pray for two of our Langham Scholars, Kin Foon Man and Bernardo Cho and their families, who are on a study and language learning visit to Tübingen for four months as part of their courses at the University of Edinburgh. Pray that this will be a time of academic and spiritual growth for them. Please pray for Roberta Cho, Bernardo’s wife as she recovers from a recent tonsillectomy.
- West Africa: Our scholars in this region continue to need our prayers, with the threat of Ebola and political instability constantly present. Please pray especially for Daniel Tolno (Guinea), Sylvain Allaboe (Benin), and Joseph Bosco (Sierra Leone).
Upcoming Langham Preaching events
||Thailand, Indonesia, Kenya Tanzania, Turkey, South Africa
||Burundi, Ecuador, Zimbabwe
|Nov 30- Dec 6
Please pray for the Langham Preaching facilitators who will be involved in the training itself, and particularly for Paul Windsor, the Programme Director for Langham Preaching.
Thank you for your prayers and support
Wendy Toulmin AM
Executive Officer, Langham Partnership Australia
when his people pray
|Your gift matters
|Your generosity multiplies biblical
preachers and teachers worldwide