View this email in your browser
Welcome to our March collection of articles and ideas for clever business owners and operators.

This month we are excited to introduce you to the latest addition to our team, Rebekah O'Sullivan. Rebekah is an entertainment, intellectual property and immigration lawyer. In this edition Rebekah talks about entertainment visas and what type of visa is needed to work in Australia. We discuss the importance of effectively protecting and planning for your business, and we celebrate International Women's Day.

Welcome Rebekah O'Sullivan
Rebekah is an entertainment, intellectual property and immigration lawyer. She works within film, TV, theatre, music, and sports, assisting agents, producers, directors, writers, actors, festival organisers and other creatives. Rebekah is a Registered Migration Agent with expertise in the entertainment visa process.

Her representation includes both domestic and international clients such as Chris Hemsworth, Liam Payne, Jason Derulo, MTV and the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

Rebekah earned a Global Entrepreneurial Scholarship to Bond University, receiving both a Juris Doctor and a Master of Law before completing her specialisations in Los Angeles at the University of Southern California. Prior to moving into entertainment law, Rebekah trained as a professional actor in London at the prestigious Rose Bruford College. She initially completed a degree in Journalism & Theatre Studies.

In recognition of her achievements and commitment to the Arts, Rebekah was appointed a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, London in 2016. In 2018, she received an International Business Leadership Award and was nominated for the NMF for Women in Film.

Rebekah remains a strong advocate for the Australian Film industry and Women in Media.

Entertainment Visas

What type of visa do I need to work in Australia if I’m an actor, DJ, musician, dancer, production crew or other creative?

Visas are often the last thing that people think about however without the visa, there is no talent and if no talent, there is no show!
In order to work in Australia in the entertainment or creative industries, you must obtain an entertainment visa. In some circumstances, a different type of visa may be more appropriate and we can advise you on the best visa is to suit your needs. We also assist Australian artists who need visas to travel overseas. 

Read the full article here

What If My Business Partner Gets Hit By A Bus?

Firstly, if you pushed him or her in front of said bus, you’re probably off to jail. If not, then after mourning appropriately, you’d probably be wondering, ‘what happens now?’

Unfortunately, many co-owners of a business will often not turn their minds to a roadmap for the business (and the partners left behind) until such an unexpected event actually occurs. The importance of such a roadmap is not limited to circumstances of death. It can be equally important if for example a co-owner suddenly becomes critically ill and is no longer able to discharge their duties or make important decisions.

A sad reality in many such circumstances is that those left behind in a business become unwitting partners with a surviving spouse (or children) of their now deceased co-owner, creating tension and disharmony which can often damage a business over time.

Read the full blog post here

International Women's Day 2019 #BalanceforBetter
Tomorrow marks International Women's Day. This year's Campaign theme is #BalanceforBetter.

Collectively we can all play a part.

Collective action and shared responsibility for driving a gender-balanced world is key. International Women's Day is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women - while also marking a call to action for accelerating gender balance.

A balanced world is a better world. How can you help forge a more gender-balanced world?

"The story of women's struggle for equality belongs to no single feminist nor to any one organisation but to the collective efforts of all who care about human rights."  Gloria Steinem, world-renowned feminist, journalist and activist

Find out more about International Women's Day here

Thanks again for reading. If you have any queries or would like to discuss any legal issues please don’t hesitate to contact me on 0422 736 206 or

Yours sincerely,
Rob Roy Rankin

p: +61 422 736 206   l    f: +61 3 9923 6970
e:   l

Copyright © 2019 Rankin Business Lawyers, All rights reserved.

unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences 

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp