We are excited to have Lilith
as our Designer Spotlight guest for this month! Please enjoy an exclusive interview with Lilith!
1. Tell us your story! How did you get started with scrapbooking?
I got married in 2000 and once I had received our wedding pictures I wanted to do something special with them. At that time I used to watch DIY programs on the BBC and on one of them they mentioned scrapbooking. I was intrigued so I looked it up. I ordered some patterned papers and embellishments and started playing around. Since then I haven't stopped.
2. Layout structure can be hard for newbies. Any tips you would like to share on how they can get started with structuring photos and other elements?
My advice would be to start simple. Start with the photo and just a few elements and papers. If you start using too many things it is a lot harder to keep everything well-balanced. Don't worry too much and if it doesn't seem to work put the paper or embellishment away. Scrapbooking is a bit like puzzling. Sometimes the pieces fit together very quickly and sometimes it just takes a bit of time. I also think it is important to do what YOU like. And last by not least, enjoy creating.
3. Where do you find your inspirations for your layouts?
Everywhere. In advertisements, online, in books (yes, sometimes stories trigger ideas). I am always looking around and watching the world. Keeping an open mind helps with finding ideas. I also love creating layouts that are variations of projects I have already created. Sometimes I am inspired by a product and create a project around it.
4. Do you have a specific style that you are comfortable with or like to stick to?
I like trying new things and don't think I have one style. I don't really like trying to fit into a box and just go with the flow. On some days I will play with paint and mixed media products and the next day I will create a layout which is really Clean&Simple. I like layers, details and do have a soft spot for white space. It depends on my mood. Let's just say it is Lilith style.
5. Please share your favorite layout(s) made with Altenew products!
6. What are some of your favorite types of tools and products to use when creating layouts?
I love dies and die cutting machines. Die cuts are a great way of adding layers and details. These tools can be used over and over again. I love that Altenew stamps come with dies because it means I can create lots of different embellishments and adapt to the colors I'm using on my layout. A patterned paper is also a favorite of mine.