Jennifer I. Aka, Pharm.D.
Health Outcomes Research Fellow
1. Why did you choose pharmacy as a profession?
I've always had a passion for the sciences and medicine but I didn't fall in love with pharmacy until I completed a pharmacy internship in my undergraduate studies. I liked the idea of being an immediate point of contact for helping people feel better. I also was attracted to the respect of the profession and it's work life balance profile. Also, being able to work hard and reap great benefits and compensation was a plus as well. I love what I do currently as a research pharmacist fellow because I am able to help shape and improve the way we manage population health through my contribution of knowledge and health services which is fulfilling.
2. Why do you volunteer for CCPMRC?
Capitol City Pharmacy Medical Reserve Corps is a unique organization that is vital for the community. I love to give back to our community and I always look forward to the different opportunities that will help prepare our DC community for emergencies. Also, I enjoy the fact that when I choose to volunteer with CCPMRC I usually learn something along the way.
3. What activities have you participated in recently with CCPMRC?
I've participated in the National DEA Take Back Initiative, CCPMRC Wellness Fair for our senior citizens, SMART 911 registration, and active shooter/patient tracking training.
4. Where do you see the future of pharmacy?
In the future, I see the profession of pharmacy gaining provider status, reaching new heights and special recognition on how diverse and efficient we are in delivering healthcare, and making it back to the number one ranking as the Most Trusted Profession.
5. Why are pharmacists an integral part of the healthcare team? Pharmacists are an integral part of the healthcare team because we bring expertise in medication therapy management which is essential for the management and improvement of health. Additionally, we are one of the most accessible health care providers in the community and we serve as a source of knowledge and resource that save lives.
6. What are your hobbies?
Some of my hobbies include cooking, fitness, reading, laser tag, and spending quality time with family and friends.