To address some of the issues prevalent in science education, Anubhava Science Foundation started working in the field of School Science Education since 2008. The important premise that guided ASF's work is that teacher development is an important aspect that has a direct influence on the quality of children's learning.
Some of the challenges specific to teacher science education include
- lack of quality in-service teacher programs with emphasis on subject matter knowledge and pedagogic approaches
- short term service programs for teachers, which is inadequate for a deeper engagement and sustainable impact
- lack of opportunity and space for teachers to design and create their own curricular resources
- lack of integration of training, field work and reflection in teacher development programmes
- external intervention programs implemented within government cluster framework are sporadic, short term and face number of challenges
- A majority of teachers teaching science in government middle schools in Karnataka are not from a science background and their knowledge of Maths is limited.
Based on the insights captured and experience gained over the last 8 years, ASF has conceptualized "Teachers Enrichment Programme” for enriching Science & Math teaching that will have a larger and deeper impact.