D1 Decides: Participatory Budgeting for District 1
How would you spend $200,000 in District 1?
On October 19th, I hosted a kick-off for District 1 Participatory Budgeting. This is a democratic process designed to engage the community in the budget process. Residents will have the opportunity to propose ideas, participate in active discussion, and vote on which neighborhood projects should receive $200,000 of public funds.
But we can't do this without you!
You can be a part of the process and outreach to your neighborhoods to encourage idea-sharing. The nominating committee is currently accepting applications for the steering committee and budget delegates. The deadlines have been extended!
Steering Committee Application deadline is Friday, December 1st, 2017, 11:59 p.m.
Budget Delegate Application deadline is Friday, December 8th, 2017, 11:59 p.m.
Nominating Committee members’ roles include:
- Recommending steering committee membership to the District 1 Council Office for final approval
- Establishing criteria and goals for steering committee and budget delegates to ensure diverse participation
Steering Committee members’ roles include:
- Appointing budget delegates
- Establishing criteria and categories for project proposal submission
- Working with the District 1 office on project vetting criteria
Budget Delegates’ roles include:
- Conducting outreach and encouraging community members to submit ideas and vote
- Vetting submitted ideas through research and based on established criteria
- Working with the District 1 office and city staff to obtain cost estimates on budget ideas that will eventually turn into proposals for voting
All Community Member's roles include:
- Spreading the word to your neighbors, family, and friends
- Submitting project ideas in the winter
- Voting in late spring / early summer 2018
If you are interested in learning more or getting involved, visit www.d1decides.com to fill out the online application. For further questions, please feel free to contact the District 1 office at email@example.com or (408) 535-4901.