We are hopeful that you are all staying safe by adhering to all precautionary measures during these unsafe times.
We are pleased to share with you the third issue of the ACE for Development Impact News.
This initiative is in line with enhancing the visibility of the Africa Higher Education Centres of Excellence for Development Impact (ACE Impact) project through improving information dissemination, communications and engagement among the African Higher Education stakeholders.
We encourage the readers to click "View this email in your browser
" so that they can translate this newsletter to a language of their choice.
Institutions under the Africa Higher Education Centres for Development Impact are making enormous contributions in managing the spread of the COVID-19 virus within the sub- region. These contributions include the production of personal protection equipment, scientific and transformative research as well as supporting continuous teaching and learning. The centres have been instrumental in supporting national and continental level responses to the pandemic. Their innovative initiatives have contributed to the low rate of infection in Africa as compared to other continents. To enhance visibility of these transformative innovations, a COVID-19 page
has been created in the newly designed ACE for Impact website
and we encourage all stakeholders to visit the website for the latest updates on the centres (https://ace.aau.org/
The Association of African Universities, the French Development Agency (AFD) and the World Bank are supporting the ACE Impact Centers through various Task Forces working to identify and make recommendations pertaining to quality content, learning management systems, connectivity, capacity building and communications - all that could be quickly adopted by the Centers as strategies for reducing the disruptions caused by the COVID-19 related lock-downs. Communication related to these recommendations will be sent to Centers in a couple of days.
The Association of African Universities which is the Regional Facilitation Unit for the ACE Impact Project is responsible for handling communications, project implementation, monitoring, evaluation and learning – and has therefore initiated this platform to facilitate information flow and bring to light the important and enormous work being done by the Africa Higher Education Centres of Excellence. Our other information dissemination platforms include the ACE Impact Facebook (ACE I
), ACE Impact Twitter (@theACE_Project
), the bi- annual ACE Newsletters where we share success stories and events, the AAU Twitter (@AAU_67
) and the AAU Facebook (AAU67
We are grateful to the Centres for their support in putting these news items together and we encourage them to continuously furnish us with information on the latest happenings in their various institutions.
Below is a selection of news items for your reading.
ACEs AND COVID-19 MANAGEMENT
RECOMMENDED RESOURCES FOR THE ACES & AFRICAN HEIs
- Africa Centre of Excellence in Genomics of Infectious Diseases (ACEGID) makes productive strides towards producing home-made vaccines.
- Africa Centres of Excellence for Impact (ACE Impact) respond to COVID 19.
- The Centre for Science, Technology and Engineering for Entrepreneurship (STEE), Gambia invests in the manufacturing of hand washing equipment.
- CEA-MITIC in collaboration with its partners design ventilators and face shields for the St. Louis Hospital.
- ACEDHARS, Nigeria warns against the use of herbal medicine for treatment of COVID-19
- Regional Centre for Transport assesses the environmental impact of the COVID- 19 pandemic.
- College of Engineering at KNUST manufactures first home-made ventilators.
- ACE-FUELS helps contain spread in Nigeria through the production of sanitizers.
- CEA-CCBAD joins in the production of disinfectants to help manage spread of the virus.
- Coursera for Campus is available globally at no cost to any university impacted by COVID-19 (https://www.coursera.org/coronavirus)
- edX Online Campus allows any university across the globe to offer in-demand and on-demand learning for their students (https://www.edx.org/covid-19)
- FUN-MOOC (France Université Numérique) MOOCS (https://fun-blog.fr/fun-campus-covid19/instancier-des-mooc-en-spoc-sur-fun-campus/) is a platform that allows the privatization of existing MOOCs in French.
- Agence universitaire de la Francophonie (AUF): COVID-19 : des ressources en ligne pour assurer la continuité pédagogique
- OpenClasrooms: Continuité pédagogique : an online education platform for vocational training, providing courses in IT, technology, entrepreneurship, and digital skills
- ChalkBoard Education for mobile learning solutions - CBE Mobile is designed for connectivity-starved environments and mobile technologies are used to make content available and accessible to all students.
KNOW THE ACE IMPACT CENTRES
- The West African Genetic Medicine Centre(WAGMC) open calls for applications in Post-graduate fellowships in Genetic Counselling and Human and Molecular Genetics. Deadline: 29th May, 2020
- PASET- RSIF opens applications for PhD scholarships in Applied Science, Engineering and Technology. Deadline: 15th June, 2020
- The Engineering for Change 2020 Research Fellowship for students and early-career professionals passionate about social innovation. Deadline: ongoing| Click to Apply
- The College of Engineering at KNUST opens call for applications into PhD, MSc and MPhil Programmes. Deadline: 30th June, 2020
- The African Scientific, Research and Innovation Council (ASRIC) has opened call for Abstracts on Infectious diseases ans pandemic threat in Africa. Deadline: 5th June, 2020
- CEA en Sciences Mathematiques, Informatique et Applications, University of Abomey- Calavi, Benin
- CEA Pour L’eau Et L’assainissement (C2EA), University of Abomey- Calavi, Benin
- Ecole d'ingénieurs, (CoE_EIE), Université d’Abomey Calavi, Benin
- CEA pour la Formation et La Recherche en Sciences et Technologies de l’eau, 2iE, Burkina Faso
- Collège d’Ingénierie pour la formation et la recherche en Sciences et Technologies d’Ingénierie de l’Energie et des Infrastructures en Afrique de l’Ouest et du Centre (CoE-2iE), Burkina Faso
- Centre De Formation, De Recherche Et D’expertises En Sciences Du Medicament (CEFOREM), Université de Ouaga I, Burkina Faso
- CEA et Innovation Biotechnologiques Pour L’elimination Des Maladies A Trans-Mission Vectorielle (CEA / ITECH-MTV), Université Nazi Boni, Burkina Faso
- Centre d'Etudes, de Formation et de Recherche en Gestion des Risques Sociaux (CEFORGRIS), Université de Ouaga I, Burkina Faso
- CEA: Mines et Environnement Minier (CEA-MEM), INP-HB, Cote d'Ivoire
- CEA: Valorisation Des Dechets En Produits A Haute Valeur Ajoutee (VALOPRO), INP-HB, Cote d'Ivoire
- CEA: Changement Climatique, Biodiversite et Agriculture Durable (CEA-CCBAD), Université Félix Houphouët-Boigny, Cote d'Ivoire
- CEA: Statistique et Economie Quantitative, ENSEA, Cote d'Ivoire
- Centre émergent: logistique et transport, Djibouti
- UD Ecole d'ingénieurs, Djibouti
- Regional Water and Environmental Sanitation Centre Kumasi (RWESCK), KNUST, Ghana
- Regional Center for Energy and Environmental Sustainability (RCESS), University of Energy and Natural Resources, Ghana
- West African Center for Water, Irrigation and Sustainable Agriculture (WACWISA), University for Development Studies, Ghana.
- Africa Centre of Excellence in Coastal Resilience (ACECoR), University of Cape Coast, Ghana
- Regional Transport Training and Research Centre, (TRECK) KNUST, Ghana
- College of Engineering, CoE_KNUST (KEEP), Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Ghana
- West African Centre For Cell Biology of Infectious and Non- Communicable Diseases (WACCBIP + NCDS), University of Ghana
- West Africa Centre for Crop Improvement (WACCI), University of Ghana
- West Africa Genetic Medicine Centre (WAGMC), University of Ghana
- Centre d’Excellence Africain pour la Prevention et le Controle des Maladies Transmissibles (CEA PCMT), Université Gamal Abdel Nasser de Conakry, Guinea
- Centre émergent, Mines et sociétésCoE_Guinée (CEMS), L’Institut Supérieur des Mines et Géologie de Boké, Guinea
- Centre d’Excellence Regional sur les Productions Pastorales : Viande, Lait, Cuirs Et Peaux (CERPP), Université Abdou Moumouni, Niger
- Teaching / Learning Math and Science for Sub-Saharan Africa (MS4SSA), Université Abdou Moumouni, Niger
- Centre émergent: Environnement minier, Niger
- African Center of Excellence for Genomics of Infectious Diseases (ACEGID), Redeemer's University, Nigeria
- African Center of Excellence for Neglected Tropical Diseases and Forensic Biotechnology (ACENTDFB), Ahmadu Bello University, Nigeria
- Africa Centre of Excellence on New Pedagogy in Engineering Education (ACENPEE), Ahmadu Bello University, Nigeria
- African Center of Excellence for Reproductive Health Innovation (CERHI), University of Benin, Nigeria
- African Center of Excellence in Dry Land Agriculture (CDA), Bayero University, Nigeria
- African Center of Excellence for Population Health and Policy (ACEPHAP), Bayero University, Nigeria
- Centre For Food Technology and Research (CEFTER), Benue State University, Nigeria
- African Centre Of Excellence for Mycotoxin And Food Safety (ACEMFS), Federal University of Technology Minna, Nigeria
- African Centre Of Excellence for Drug Research, Herbal Medicine Development and Regulatory Science (ACEDHARS), University of Lagos, Nigeria
- African Centre Of Excellence for Innovative And Transformative STEM Education (CITSE), Lagos State University, Nigeria
- African Centre Of Excellence for Sustainable Power and Energy Development (ACE SPED), University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Nigeria
- African Centre Of Excellence in Future Energies and Electrochemical Systems (ACE FUELS), Federal University of Technology Owerri, Nigeria
- OAU ICT-Driven Knowledge Park (OAU-Oak Park), Obafemi Awolowo University, Nigeria
- Center of Excellence for Oilfield Chemicals Research (CEFOR), University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria
- Africa Centre of Excellence for Public Health and Toxicological Research, (ACE-PUTOR) University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria
- Africa Centre of Excellence on Technology Enhanced Learning (ACETEL), National University of Nigeria
- Covenant Applied Informatics and Communication (CApIC), Covenant University, Nigeria
- African Center of Excellence in Mathematics and ICT (CEA MITIC), Gaston Berger University, Senegal
- CEA pour la Sante de la Mere et de L’enfant (CEA- SAMEF), Cheikh Anta Diop University, Senegal
- CEA: Agir en Environnement et Sante, Cheikh Anta Diop University, Senegal
- CEA: Agriculture pour la Securite Alimentaire et Nutritionnelle (CEA AGRISAN), Cheikh Anta Diop University, Senegal
- Emerging Center: Science, Technology and Engineering for Entrepreneurship (STEE), The Gambia
- Centre d’Excellence Regional pour la Maitrise de l’Electricite (CERME), Universite de Lome, Togo
- Centre d’Excellence Regional sur les Sciences Aviaires (CERSA), Université de Lomé, Togo
- Centre d’Excellence Regional Villes Durables en Afrique (CEA CERViDA DOUNEDON), Université de Lomé, Togo