|We are pleased to share with you the seventh issue of the ACE for Development Impact News. We encourage you to click "View this email in your browser" so that you can translate this newsletter to a language of your choice.
We would like to express our immense gratitude to all centres and higher education stakeholders who took time to participate in the 4th ACE Impact Regional Workshop held virtually from October 19- 27, 2020. Your active participation and contributions made the workshop a success. Proceedings of the workshop focused on consolidating gains of the ACE Impact project, lessons & feasible strategies for building Higher Education Resilience to COVID-19 and other future pandemics and proffer sustainable ways of implementing the project's objectives despite the covid 19 Pandemic. For access to resources and presentations of the workshop, kindly click here.
To strengthen the capacity of the Africa Centres of Excellence for Development Impact (ACE Impact) in delivering quality education and applied research through world-class standards, the World Bank and the Association of African Universities are in partnership with various partners such as (Elsevier, Cousera, FUN MOOCS, Enubia, Ecole polytechnique federale de Lausanne, among others) to implement a series of capacity building webinars for the ACEs. Webinars organized so far focus on diverse topics including Research Commercialization for Job creation, Scientific Research Communication and Publication, Setting up Networks for Digital Education in African Universities and the Introduction to LMS for system Administrators.
Preparations are on-going to facilitate webinars on the Use of E-learning Resources; Training for Social Safeguards Officers and Sexual Harassment Awareness seminars. Meeting details will be shared via email with centres and all are encouraged to participate.
We are grateful to the Centres for their support in putting these news items together and we encourage them to continuously furnish us with information on the latest happenings in their various institutions.
Below is a selection of news items for your reading.
News from the ACEs
- Prof. Christain Haapi of the Centre of Excellence for Genomics of Infectious Diseases (ACEGID) awarded 2020 Bailey K. Ashford Medal by the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.
- Stanford University names Prof. Oguzie, ACE-FUELS Director among world top scientists.
- Africa Centres of Excellence work at addressing regional developmental challenges.
- Africa Centres of Excellence increase impactful research.
- West African Centre for Crop Improvement (WACCI) leads a Public-Private Consortium to receive Grant.
- The Minister of Higher Education in Benin commissions CEA-SMIA's super calculator/ computer funded by the ACE Impact project.
- Centre for Water, Irrigation and Sustainable Agriculture (WACWISA) builds capacity of Agriculture Officers and Irrigation Engineers.
- EPFL spearheads Online Urban-Development Training for African professionals (English).
- EPFL spearheads Online Urban-Development Training for African professionals (French).
- Researchers and Higher education stakeholders launches the Africa Science Information Network.
- Profile on ACEs in the Agric thematic area.
- Newsletter: Centre of Excellence for Coastal Resilience (ACECoR) , Volume 3
- Newsletter: College of Engineering, KNUST (KEEP), Volume 2
- Newsletter: Centre of Excellence for Toxicological Research (ACE-PUTOR) issues newsletter.
- Research Publication: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) and Africa: acclaimed home remedies.
- Call for Applications: The Centre of Excellence for Climate Change and Sustainable Agriculture (CEA-CCBAD), calls for application to PhD programme in Water Management. |Deadline :December 21, 2020|
- Call for Applications: Africa Centre of Excellence on Technology Enhanced Learning (ACETEL) calls for applications to its MSc and PhD programmes. |Deadline: December 30, 2020|
- ACEs webinar with Cousera.| December 9, 2020| Register Here
- Webinar on the Introduction to Learning Management Systems for System Administrators and IT Professionals.| December 11, 2020| Register Here
- ACE- PUTOR, Nigeria in collaboration with the Fourah Bay College, Sierra Leone to host Toxicology Risk Assessment Training School.| January 25-28, 2021
- DAAD Doctoral Scholarship for scholars from Sub-Sahara Africa| Deadline - December 20, 2020|
- International Masters in Rural Development (IMRD) Scholarships 2021/2022 for Students in Developing Countries| Deadline - February 28, 2021|
- The African Women in Agricultural Research and Development (AWARD) opens applications for the 2021 Cohort of the One Planet Fellowship | Deadline - February 15, 2021
- Wageningen University Africa Scholarship Programme 2021/2022 for African Students (sponsored to the Netherlands) | Deadline- February 1, 2021
- University of Kent Doctoral Scholarships 2021/2022 for International Students| Deadline - January 18, 2021
KNOW THE ACE IMPACT CENTRES
- CEA en Sciences Mathematiques, Informatique et Applications, University of Abomey- Calavi, Benin
- CEA Pour L’eau Et L’assainissement (C2EA), University of Abomey- Calavi, Benin
- Ecole d'ingénieurs, (CoE_EIE), Université d’Abomey Calavi, Benin
- CEA pour la Formation et La Recherche en Sciences et Technologies de l’eau, 2iE, Burkina Faso
- Collège d’Ingénierie pour la formation et la recherche en Sciences et Technologies d’Ingénierie de l’Energie et des Infrastructures en Afrique de l’Ouest et du Centre (CoE-2iE), Burkina Faso
- Centre De Formation, De Recherche Et D’expertises En Sciences Du Medicament (CEFOREM), Université de Ouaga I, Burkina Faso
- CEA et Innovation Biotechnologiques Pour L’elimination Des Maladies A Trans-Mission Vectorielle (CEA / ITECH-MTV), Université Nazi Boni, Burkina Faso
- Centre d'Etudes, de Formation et de Recherche en Gestion des Risques Sociaux (CEFORGRIS), Université de Ouaga I, Burkina Faso
- CEA: Mines et Environnement Minier (CEA-MEM), INP-HB, Cote d'Ivoire
- CEA: Valorisation Des Dechets En Produits A Haute Valeur Ajoutee (VALOPRO), INP-HB, Cote d'Ivoire
- CEA: Changement Climatique, Biodiversite et Agriculture Durable (CEA-CCBAD), Université Félix Houphouët-Boigny, Cote d'Ivoire
- CEA: Statistique et Economie Quantitative, ENSEA, Cote d'Ivoire
- Centre émergent: logistique et transport, Djibouti
- UD Ecole d'ingénieurs, Djibouti
- Regional Water and Environmental Sanitation Centre Kumasi (RWESCK), KNUST, Ghana
- Regional Center for Energy and Environmental Sustainability (RCESS), University of Energy and Natural Resources, Ghana
- West African Center for Water, Irrigation and Sustainable Agriculture (WACWISA), University for Development Studies, Ghana.
- Africa Centre of Excellence in Coastal Resilience (ACECoR), University of Cape Coast, Ghana
- Regional Transport Training and Research Centre, (TRECK) KNUST, Ghana
- College of Engineering, CoE_KNUST (KEEP), Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Ghana
- West African Centre For Cell Biology of Infectious and Non- Communicable Diseases (WACCBIP + NCDS), University of Ghana
- West Africa Centre for Crop Improvement (WACCI), University of Ghana
- West Africa Genetic Medicine Centre (WAGMC), University of Ghana
- Centre d’Excellence Africain pour la Prevention et le Controle des Maladies Transmissibles (CEA PCMT), Université Gamal Abdel Nasser de Conakry, Guinea
- Centre émergent, Mines et sociétésCoE_Guinée (CEMS), L’Institut Supérieur des Mines et Géologie de Boké, Guinea
- Centre d’Excellence Regional sur les Productions Pastorales : Viande, Lait, Cuirs Et Peaux (CERPP), Université Abdou Moumouni, Niger
- Teaching / Learning Math and Science for Sub-Saharan Africa (MS4SSA), Université Abdou Moumouni, Niger
- Centre émergent: Environnement minier (CEA-EMIG), Niger
- African Center of Excellence for Genomics of Infectious Diseases (ACEGID), Redeemer's University, Nigeria
- African Center of Excellence for Neglected Tropical Diseases and Forensic Biotechnology (ACENTDFB), Ahmadu Bello University, Nigeria
- Africa Centre of Excellence on New Pedagogy in Engineering Education (ACENPEE), Ahmadu Bello University, Nigeria
- African Center of Excellence for Reproductive Health Innovation (CERHI), University of Benin, Nigeria
- African Center of Excellence in Dry Land Agriculture (CDA), Bayero University, Nigeria
- African Center of Excellence for Population Health and Policy (ACEPHAP), Bayero University, Nigeria
- Centre For Food Technology and Research (CEFTER), Benue State University, Nigeria
- African Centre Of Excellence for Mycotoxin And Food Safety (ACEMFS), Federal University of Technology Minna, Nigeria
- African Centre Of Excellence for Drug Research, Herbal Medicine Development and Regulatory Science (ACEDHARS), University of Lagos, Nigeria
- African Centre Of Excellence for Innovative And Transformative STEM Education (CITSE), Lagos State University, Nigeria
- African Centre Of Excellence for Sustainable Power and Energy Development (ACE SPED), University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Nigeria
- African Centre Of Excellence in Future Energies and Electrochemical Systems (ACE FUELS), Federal University of Technology Owerri, Nigeria
- OAU ICT-Driven Knowledge Park (OAU-Oak Park), Obafemi Awolowo University, Nigeria
- Center of Excellence for Oilfield Chemicals Research (CEFOR), University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria
- Africa Centre of Excellence for Public Health and Toxicological Research, (ACE-PUTOR) University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria
- Africa Centre of Excellence on Technology Enhanced Learning (ACETEL), National University of Nigeria
- Covenant Applied Informatics and Communication (CApIC), Covenant University, Nigeria
- African Center of Excellence in Mathematics and ICT (CEA MITIC), Gaston Berger University, Senegal
- CEA pour la Sante de la Mere et de L’enfant (CEA- SAMEF), Cheikh Anta Diop University, Senegal
- CEA: Agir en Environnement et Sante, Cheikh Anta Diop University, Senegal
- CEA: Agriculture pour la Securite Alimentaire et Nutritionnelle (CEA AGRISAN), Cheikh Anta Diop University, Senegal
- Emerging Center: Science, Technology and Engineering for Entrepreneurship (STEE), The Gambia
- Centre d’Excellence Regional pour la Maitrise de l’Electricite (CERME), Universite de Lome, Togo
- Centre d’Excellence Regional sur les Sciences Aviaires (CERSA), Université de Lomé, Togo
- Centre d’Excellence Regional Villes Durables en Afrique (CEA CERViDA DOUNEDON), Université de Lomé, Togo