We are pleased to share with you the fifth issue of the ACE for Development Impact News.
We encourage you to click "View this email in your browser
" so that you can translate this newsletter to a language of your choice.
We are glad to announce that, the 3rd ACE Impact Regional Workshop will be held from October 19- 30, 2020.
Due to the restrictions on mobility imposed by the COVID-19 pandemic, the AAU and the World Bank have jointly decided to modify the initially intended format of the Workshop to a Virtual
regional workshop and Project Steering Committee Meeting for the ACE Impact Project.
In light of the transition to a virtual platform, this year’s second workshop will span over a period of two weeks. Below is the proposed schedule.
- 19-23 October 2020. This week will be dedicated to the Project Steering Committee meeting, Subject Matter Experts Meeting and operational support/ technical workshop (focusing on project implementation)
- 26-30 October 2020. This would be for thematic workshops where each thematic group e.g. ICT, Agriculture etc. will have an opportunity to plan their own virtual workshop. The objective is to give ACEs opportunities to highlight their ongoing research and host speakers to discuss emerging issues in their specific fields.
Detailed information on the workshop will be shared via email, our monthly newsletters and on various ACE/AAU media platforms. We encourage the ACEs to save the dates and share with us suggestions to aid our planning process (via email firstname.lastname@example.org
and cc email@example.com).
We are thrilled that we are now ready to work with the ACEs and Coursera to onboard the ACEs to begin to use the Coursera courses. To facilitate this quickly before the COVID-19 offer ends on 30th
September 2020, we are planning two webinars for the purpose of orienting the ACEs and their host universities at large to benefit from the relevant Coursera courses.
- The first webinar will target the ACE academic community – i.e. the University Senior Leaders, Center leaders and Academic Faculty. The webinar will help participants to understand how to match the Coursera content to the university curriculum. This webinar would happen on Wednesday 26th August at 10am GMT – Register here -https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZItdO2orDopGdfc97JjtLpedbkGPwbN4tXK After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
- The second webinar will target the people identified by the ACEs/ACE host universities to spearhead the Coursera partnership (administrators on Coursera). This webinar would focus on how to register students and track and monitor their progress. This webinar would happen on Friday 28 August at 11am GMT – Register here - https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZErcu-trToqHdd1LMhZ4ByyNuHRzfDZPCHl After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
We are grateful to the Centres for their support in putting these news items together and we encourage them to continuously furnish us with information on the latest happenings in their various institutions.
Below is a selection of news items for your reading.
News from the ACEs
ONLINE TEACHING AND WEBINARS
- KNUST College of Engineering (KNUST Engineering Education Project (KEEP)) rolls out its maiden Newsletter .
- Centre of Excellence for Infectious Diseases (ACEGID) reports 24 additional genome sequences of SARS-CoV-2 from Nigeria.
- Centre of Excellence in Coastal Resilience (ACECoR) conducts study on coastal erosion and flooding risks in West Africa
- Centre for Water, Irrigation and Sustainable Agriculture (WACWISA) students win 2020 Plant Nutrition Scholar Award
- Regional Transport Research and Education Centre (TRECK) inaugurates Scientific and Industrial Advisory Boards
- Centre in Reproductive Health (CERHI) receives the Seeding Labs 2020 Instrumental Access Award
- WACCI Director speaks on "Turning the Covid-19 adversity into an opportunity for innovation in plant breeding for food and nutrition security in West Africa."
- Centre of Excellence for Innovative and Transformative STEM Education online training on Advanced-Educational-Research-and-Statistics.
- ACECoR - Center for Coastal Management successfully hosted a Webinar on "Innovations in Higher Education towards Sustainable Oceans - Thinking Globally, Acting Locally"
- Regional Transport Research & Education Centre webinar on Online Teaching and Learning during COVID- 19 pandemic academic disruption: Approaches and Assessment Methods.
- ACE Impact capacity building webinar. on the use of E-learning and Digital Resources. Series 1 &2: Click to listen to recording.
- University of Wisconsin- Madison Global Health Institute invites you to a webinar series on COVID and Equity on August 20, 2020. Read More || Click to Register.
- ACE Impact regional virtual workshop. 19-23 October 2020; 26-30 October 2020. Watch this space for more information.
- Invitation to attend the International Council on Large Electric Systems (CIGRE) 2020 e-session and the special AFRICA CIGRE session to be held from August 24- September3, 2020. Click to register for all sessions || Click to view programme || Click to register for AFRICA CIGRE session
- GBIF's BID programme calls for proposals from Sub-Saharan Africa Deadline: 27 Aug 2020
- Centre for Genetic Medicine (WAGMC) opens applications for Postgraduate Research Fellowship in Genetics. Deadline: August 28, 2020.
- ACECoR opens admissions for the 2020/21 academic year. Deadline: 30th August, 2020
- Centre of Excellence on Sustainable Cities (CERViDA- DOUNEDON), Togo shares Terms of Reference for the recruitment of Project Manager
KNOW THE ACE IMPACT CENTRES
- CEA en Sciences Mathematiques, Informatique et Applications, University of Abomey- Calavi, Benin
- CEA Pour L’eau Et L’assainissement (C2EA), University of Abomey- Calavi, Benin
- Ecole d'ingénieurs, (CoE_EIE), Université d’Abomey Calavi, Benin
- CEA pour la Formation et La Recherche en Sciences et Technologies de l’eau, 2iE, Burkina Faso
- Collège d’Ingénierie pour la formation et la recherche en Sciences et Technologies d’Ingénierie de l’Energie et des Infrastructures en Afrique de l’Ouest et du Centre (CoE-2iE), Burkina Faso
- Centre De Formation, De Recherche Et D’expertises En Sciences Du Medicament (CEFOREM), Université de Ouaga I, Burkina Faso
- CEA et Innovation Biotechnologiques Pour L’elimination Des Maladies A Trans-Mission Vectorielle (CEA / ITECH-MTV), Université Nazi Boni, Burkina Faso
- Centre d'Etudes, de Formation et de Recherche en Gestion des Risques Sociaux (CEFORGRIS), Université de Ouaga I, Burkina Faso
- CEA: Mines et Environnement Minier (CEA-MEM), INP-HB, Cote d'Ivoire
- CEA: Valorisation Des Dechets En Produits A Haute Valeur Ajoutee (VALOPRO), INP-HB, Cote d'Ivoire
- CEA: Changement Climatique, Biodiversite et Agriculture Durable (CEA-CCBAD), Université Félix Houphouët-Boigny, Cote d'Ivoire
- CEA: Statistique et Economie Quantitative, ENSEA, Cote d'Ivoire
- Centre émergent: logistique et transport, Djibouti
- UD Ecole d'ingénieurs, Djibouti
- Regional Water and Environmental Sanitation Centre Kumasi (RWESCK), KNUST, Ghana
- Regional Center for Energy and Environmental Sustainability (RCESS), University of Energy and Natural Resources, Ghana
- West African Center for Water, Irrigation and Sustainable Agriculture (WACWISA), University for Development Studies, Ghana.
- Africa Centre of Excellence in Coastal Resilience (ACECoR), University of Cape Coast, Ghana
- Regional Transport Training and Research Centre, (TRECK) KNUST, Ghana
- College of Engineering, CoE_KNUST (KEEP), Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Ghana
- West African Centre For Cell Biology of Infectious and Non- Communicable Diseases (WACCBIP + NCDS), University of Ghana
- West Africa Centre for Crop Improvement (WACCI), University of Ghana
- West Africa Genetic Medicine Centre (WAGMC), University of Ghana
- Centre d’Excellence Africain pour la Prevention et le Controle des Maladies Transmissibles (CEA PCMT), Université Gamal Abdel Nasser de Conakry, Guinea
- Centre émergent, Mines et sociétésCoE_Guinée (CEMS), L’Institut Supérieur des Mines et Géologie de Boké, Guinea
- Centre d’Excellence Regional sur les Productions Pastorales : Viande, Lait, Cuirs Et Peaux (CERPP), Université Abdou Moumouni, Niger
- Teaching / Learning Math and Science for Sub-Saharan Africa (MS4SSA), Université Abdou Moumouni, Niger
- Centre émergent: Environnement minier (CEA-EMIG), Niger
- African Center of Excellence for Genomics of Infectious Diseases (ACEGID), Redeemer's University, Nigeria
- African Center of Excellence for Neglected Tropical Diseases and Forensic Biotechnology (ACENTDFB), Ahmadu Bello University, Nigeria
- Africa Centre of Excellence on New Pedagogy in Engineering Education (ACENPEE), Ahmadu Bello University, Nigeria
- African Center of Excellence for Reproductive Health Innovation (CERHI), University of Benin, Nigeria
- African Center of Excellence in Dry Land Agriculture (CDA), Bayero University, Nigeria
- African Center of Excellence for Population Health and Policy (ACEPHAP), Bayero University, Nigeria
- Centre For Food Technology and Research (CEFTER), Benue State University, Nigeria
- African Centre Of Excellence for Mycotoxin And Food Safety (ACEMFS), Federal University of Technology Minna, Nigeria
- African Centre Of Excellence for Drug Research, Herbal Medicine Development and Regulatory Science (ACEDHARS), University of Lagos, Nigeria
- African Centre Of Excellence for Innovative And Transformative STEM Education (CITSE), Lagos State University, Nigeria
- African Centre Of Excellence for Sustainable Power and Energy Development (ACE SPED), University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Nigeria
- African Centre Of Excellence in Future Energies and Electrochemical Systems (ACE FUELS), Federal University of Technology Owerri, Nigeria
- OAU ICT-Driven Knowledge Park (OAU-Oak Park), Obafemi Awolowo University, Nigeria
- Center of Excellence for Oilfield Chemicals Research (CEFOR), University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria
- Africa Centre of Excellence for Public Health and Toxicological Research, (ACE-PUTOR) University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria
- Africa Centre of Excellence on Technology Enhanced Learning (ACETEL), National University of Nigeria
- Covenant Applied Informatics and Communication (CApIC), Covenant University, Nigeria
- African Center of Excellence in Mathematics and ICT (CEA MITIC), Gaston Berger University, Senegal
- CEA pour la Sante de la Mere et de L’enfant (CEA- SAMEF), Cheikh Anta Diop University, Senegal
- CEA: Agir en Environnement et Sante, Cheikh Anta Diop University, Senegal
- CEA: Agriculture pour la Securite Alimentaire et Nutritionnelle (CEA AGRISAN), Cheikh Anta Diop University, Senegal
- Emerging Center: Science, Technology and Engineering for Entrepreneurship (STEE), The Gambia
- Centre d’Excellence Regional pour la Maitrise de l’Electricite (CERME), Universite de Lome, Togo
- Centre d’Excellence Regional sur les Sciences Aviaires (CERSA), Université de Lomé, Togo
- Centre d’Excellence Regional Villes Durables en Afrique (CEA CERViDA DOUNEDON), Université de Lomé, Togo