Final Call to Register for Free to attend the AAU 15th Quadrennial General Conference, July 5 - 8, 2021| Virtual Event
Dear Stakeholders of African Higher Education,
Warm greetings to you from the Association of African Universities (AAU) in Accra, Ghana.
Under the patronage of His Excellency, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, President of the Republic of Ghana, the AAU will hold its 15th Quadrennial General Conference of African University Leaders from 5th – 8th July, 2021. You are invited to register to participate in this event - https://tinyurl.com/AAUGC2021. This is one of the biggest gathering of African Higher Education stakeholders across the continent and will hold virtually. Participation is free of charge (no participation fees).
Conference theme: “The Future of African Higher Education”
Conference Sub-Themes: In addition to Keynote Presentations on the Conference theme there will be papers and presentations on the following six (6) sub-themes:
- Sub-Theme 1: The Future of African Higher Education Post-COVID-19
- Sub-Theme 2: Contributions of African Higher Education Institutions to Addressing the Challenges linked to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Sub-Theme 3: Contributions of African Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in Achieving Sustainable Development Goals
- Sub-Theme 4: Funding of African Higher Education Institutions in the face of unpredictable Economy
- Sub-Theme 5: Mainstreaming e-learning and the digital divide
- Sub-Theme 6: Contributions of the Diaspora to African Higher Education
The event will, among other things, provide an opportunity for African academics to share scientific and research information on the theme, as well as provide a platform for sharing best practices with policy makers, and strengthen networking among African higher education institutions.
Why Participate in the AAU General Conference
- We expect 5,000 participants from Africa, Europe, the Americas, Asia and other parts of the World.
- Interact with over 400 AAU Member Vice Chancellors present at the conference.
- Network with African academics from the five regions of Africa
- If your institution is an AAU member you will participate in the AAU business meetings
- An Exhibition is planned to showcase emerging projects and products for African Higher Education
- Receive firsthand information on current initiatives and available opportunities for stakeholders of African Higher Education
- Opportunity to be included in AAU’s database and mailing list to keep receiving information on African Higher Education and available opportunities – scholarships, fellowships, vacancies, and other relevant information
- Opportunity to share your thoughts/experiences with participants from Africa and beyond and help enrich the discussions.
Please complete the registration form via this link -https://tinyurl.com/AAUGC2021 to enable the system to give you free access to the meeting.
Kindly visit the conference website for further details: https://events.aau.org/gencon/
Registered and Confirmed Participants
Attendees are from the following categories - African Governments and other Policy Makers, Academics (both from Africa and the diaspora), Researchers, Development Partners, Captains of Industry, Regional Economic Communities, Media, among others.
The AAU has put together a rich list of experienced speakers who will be leading the discussions and engagement sessions. These include:
- H.E. Professor Sarah Anyang Agbor (Commissioner for Human Resources, Science and Technology (HRST) African Union Commission (AUC))
- H.E. Dr. Akinwumi Adesina (President, AfDB Group)
- Prof. Mohammed Salifu (Director General, Ghana Tertiary Education Commission (GTEC)
- Ms. Deirdre Lennan (Directorate-General for Education, Youth and Culture, European Commission)
- Prof. Paul Zeleza (Vice Chancellor, United States International University-Africa, Nairobi, Kenya)
- Prof. Goolam Mohamedbhai, Honorary President, International Association of Universities (IAU) / former Secretary-General, AAU / former Vice Chancellor, University of Mauritius
- Prof. Olugbemiro Jegede, Founding Vice Chancellor, National Open University of Nigeria / Former AAU Secretary General
- Prof. M. El-Mahrasawy, Al-Azhar University President & AAU Governing Board Member
- Prof. Bertrand Mbatchi, Secretary General, African and Malagasy Council for Higher Education (CAMES), Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
- HE Ambassador Arikana Chihombori Quao, MD Former Permanent Representative of African Union Mission to the USA
- Ms. Elizabeth Colucci, HAQAA Initiative Director, OBREAL Global, Spain
- Prof. Margaret King, Executive Director, Global Institute for Sustainable Development, USA
- Prof. Juma Shabani, Former UNESCO Director / Directeur de l'école doctorale Université du Burundi
- Prof. Nkuo Theresa Akenji, AAU Board Member / Vice Chancellor, University of Bamenda, Cameroon
Please visit the draft conference programme for the full list of speakers and their corresponding presentation topics-
The Concept Paper: can be found here: https://blog.aau.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/The-Concept-Note-for-AAU-2021-General-Conference.pdf
We are very interested in you joining us at the virtual 2021 General Conference because we believe that your input and contributions to the discussions will be valuable to exchange with African higher education stakeholders. We further see boundless opportunities in this sphere arising from such exchanges.
Thank you in advance for joining us on the conference dates.
Yours in the Service of Higher Education in Africa,
Prof. Etienne Ehouan EHILE
Association of African Universities