Copy
Fresh Summer Tea
View this email in your browser
Tea Info Shelf
Through the past editions you have learned how tea has been grown and harvested, both traditionally and nowadays. This time let's look into what happens to a tea leaf after it has been picked.

Like a bitten apple, if unprocessed, after being picked tea leaves would start oxidizing and turning brown. Japanese green tea is steamed to stop the enzymes and preserve the green qualities of tea. While a very short process (~30s~1min30s) steaming also helps to soften the leaves that go through a lengthy rolling process afterwards.

Rolling starts lightly to shake of extra moisture gained through steaming. Then it gets heavier firmly pressing tea leaves and finally shaping them into a beautiful straight needles. While giving aesthetic looks to tea, rolling essentially breaks up the inter structure of the tea leaf, so that  flavor particles could more easily get into a cup.

Finally tea is dried to reduce the moisture to a minimum, that helps to keep the tea fresh for a long time. It is interesting to know, that the weight of dry tea leaves is about 20% of that of raw tea leaves - 80% is moisture that evaporates through the drying process.

Aside form a few exceptions, first processing of Japanese green tea involves steaming, rolling and drying. After completing this three-step process, the tea becomes aracha (a.k.a.farmer's or crude tea). The majority of our teas area in the aracha state.


Like Obubu Tea - July on Facebook share on Twitter
Tea of the Month - Fresh Summer Tea
Sencha of Brightness
Medium-bodied with a rounded finish, Brightness offers a subtle umami taste with underlying flavor notes of avocado and apricot. Pale yellow in color it has flowery aroma with gentle tones of elderberry. Shaded from the sun and harvested in summer, Brightness is one of the smoothest senchas.
Like Obubu Tea - July on Facebook share on Twitter
Sencha of the Summer Sun
Medium light in body, Summer Sun has more of a sharp quality. Subtly astringent in taste it has undertones of kiwi fruit and chives. Brass-like yellow in a cup it offers a lingering aroma of moist timber. Grown in full sunshine and made from summer harvest, Summer Sun is bolder then the rest.
Like Obubu Tea - July on Facebook share on Twitter
What's New? - Autumn Tea Picking and Rolling Event

While summer tea harvest is about to end soon, new tea buds will grow again and be ready for tea picking at the end of September. Tea Picking and Rolling Event in a beautiful Japanese countryside is enjoyable for both Japanese and English speakers. The autumn event on the 23rd September will be the last chance this year to experience tea journey from a tea field to a cup.
Like Obubu Tea - July on Facebook share on Twitter
Meet Obubu's Friends - Torben

Who are you and what do you do? I am Torben, a German living in Kirkenes, northern Norway. I do work for the government and have photography as a hobby. Apart from that I love kayaking and skiing.
How did you get to know Obubu? Through an internet search. My girlfriend and I wanted to visit Japan and also visit some tea fields, as we were both interested in Japanese tea.
What is Obubu to you? Obubu for me is high quality tea from a really amazing group of people. We really enjoyed our day in Wazuka.
What is your favorite way to make tea? I love to start the day with a cup of Sencha tea, sometimes also a Matcha.
What message would you like to pass to Obubu readers and friends? Drink more tea and visit Norway :)
Like Obubu Tea - July on Facebook share on Twitter
Events of the Past Month - Summer Tea Picking and Rolling Event

The month of July is when the second tea harvest takes place. To mark that Obubu held a seasonal Tea Picking and Rolling Event on the 4th July, that gathered a beautiful crowd of more than 30 people. The day involved picking fresh tea leaves sprinkled with summer rain, carefully rolling and drying them until finished. During a few breaks everyone could also try only locally available tea tempura and cooling Matcha kakigouri (a.k.a. shaved ice with Matcha Syrup).
Like Obubu Tea - July on Facebook share on Twitter
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Twitter
YouTube
YouTube
LinkedIn
LinkedIn
Website
Website
Email
Email
Copyright © 2015 Obubu Tea, All rights reserved.


unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences 

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp