Translation by Fr. Edward Caswall (1814-1878)
1. All ye who seek a comfort sure
In trouble and distress,
Whatever sorrows vex the mind,
Or guilt the soul oppress,
2. Jesus, who gave Himself for you
Upon the cross to die,
Opens to you His Sacred Heart;
O to that Heart draw nigh.
3. Ye hear how kindly He invites;
Ye hear His words so blest;
“All ye that labor come to me,
And I will give you rest.”
4. What meeker than the Saviour’s Heart?
As on the Cross He lay,
It did His murderers forgive,
And for their pardon pray.
5. O Heart, Thou joy of Saints on high,
Thou hope of sinners here,
Attracted by those loving words
To Thee I life my prayer.
6. Wash thou my wounds in that dear Blood,
Which forth from Thee doth flow;
New grace, new hope inspire, a new
And better heart bestow.