Welcome to the February newsletter!
This month is all about love and hearts! The heart is quite frankly a rather amazing bit of kit! We need to look after it! I love the image above as it depicts the workings and systems of the heart beautifully.
One of the many benefits of massage is the effect it has on our cardiovascular system.
The cardiovascular system (sometimes referred to as the circulatory system too) in simple terms is our heart, veins and arteries.
So, what effect does massage have on our cardiovascular system?
- improve circulation by mechanically assisting the venous flow of blood back to the heart.
- dilate blood vessels helping them to work more efficiently.
- produce an enhanced blood flow; delivery of fresh oxygen and nutrients to the tissues is improved and the removal of waste products, toxins and carbon dioxide is hastened via the venous system.
- help temporarily to decrease blood pressure, due to dilation of capillaries.
- decrease the heart rate due to relaxation.
- reduce ischaemia (ischaemia is a reduction in the flow of blood to body parts, often marked by pain and tissue dysfunction