Next week! Are you ready?
Arriving at the Festival
The festival check-in area is located in the lobby of the Atrium building outside the Merchants Corner (Nakiska Ballroom). Please have photo ID ready to pick up your festival badge, Program Book, and Quick Guide. The check-in table opens on the festival Friday ~11 AM and remains open during daytime hours Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. If there is a line-up and you need to be at a festival session, please attend your session and return to the check-in table for your materials at your earliest convenience.
If you are staying at the hotel, be sure to ask for breakfast vouchers when you check in. $10 for a hot breakfast buffet!
If you have purchased a banquet ticker, be sure to pick it up prior to 1 PM Saturday. Tickets that are not picked up will be re-sold Saturday from 1 PM - 5:30 PM.
If you cannot find a pass for this year's festival, or have friends who would like to check us out, we do have some free events open to the public.
1. Festival Guest readings. This year's festival guests - James Alan Gardner, Jonas Saul, Kat Flannery, Leanne Shirtliffe, and Lisa Mangum - will be reading at the Fish Creek Public Library on Thursday Aug 8th from 7-9 pm. They will also be reading at the Delta Calgary South Hotel on Friday Aug 9th from 1-3 pm in the Bonavista Ballroom (Tower Building).
2. Autograph Session. Our festival guests joined by 70+ attending authors will be signing books on Saturday Aug 10th from 8-10 pm in the Bonavista Ballroom (Tower Building).
3. Saturday Night Rapid Readings by attending authors. Sat August 10th from 7-9 PM in the Fireside Room (Tower Building).
4. Merchants Corner. Books by our festival guests and attending authors and publishers are available all weekend during daytime hours in our Merchant Room located in the Nakiska Ballroom (Atrium Building).
5. Hidden Art Show. Works of art created by attending artists are available for viewing and purchase all weekend during daytime hours in our Hidden Art Show located in the Lake Louise room (Atrium Building, 2nd floor)
The finished schedule is now online! Lots to choose from every hour of the festival. Please do not print the information as a program book and quick guide will be waiting for you when you check in.
The manuscript workshops with Lisa Mangum, Leanne Shirtliffe, and James Alan Gardner are sold out. The remaining classes have no seat limit, so feel free to join. Details, including room locations, can be found in the PDF at:
Advance Signup Events
Shared Author Table
As July has ended, we are no longer accepting advance signup. There is, however, still space available in some Blue Pencil Cafe sessions as well as the Saturday Night Rapid Readings. Please check with the volunteer outside the Jasper Boardroom (Atrium) during festival daytime hours to sign up.
If you are signed up for Blue Pencil. Query cafe, or Manuscript Review, and have not emailed us your manuscripts, please do ASAP so your editors have time to review them.
email us your manuscripts
Authors attending the festival who have books for sale not available elsewhere in the Merchants' Corner are welcome to join the IFWA-sponsored cooperative booksellers' table. Bring a maximum of 3 titles to the IFWA table on Friday (or when you arrive) and sign up to work for an hour (or more) over the weekend. Display materials (stands, card cases, etc.) are in short supply; if you have your own, bring them! During your hour you will sell all books at the table, and you can do signings as well.
The Hidden Art Show is back for a second year in the Lake Louise Room on the 2nd floor of the Atrium building. A list of showing artists is now available:
Leaving the Page: Character Banquet
The banquet menu has been posted. Ticket-holders with dietary concerns should contact us ASAP so the hotel has time to make substitutions for you.
Dress as a character from your favourite book. Heroes, villains, and even aliens are welcome. From any era. Join us for an evening of networking with other readers and writers. Theme dress is welcome, but not required.
Note: The banquet is sold out. Any tickets that come available will be sold at the festival check-in table beginning Saturday 1 PM.
Festival passholders are welcome to drop by the Atrium Cafe for a light appetizer and coffee or soda any time between 12 and 5 PM on Saturday and Sunday as well as Sunday evening 7-11 pm for the Dead Dog Social.
Note: Hospitality is not a place for meals. Meals and alcohol may be purchased at Sage & Co or Southland Yard.
When Words Collide 10th Anniversary!
Next year is Chapter 10 of our festival. I can't believe we've held up this long! If you'd like to join us, 2020 registration will be available on our web site beginning Saturday Aug 10th and at the check-in table on Sunday Aug 11th. To celebrate, we are lowing the price of adult passes by $5! We're also hoping to do a few other things next year to help celebrate.
The postmortem meeting for WWC 2018 is past and the organizers wish to thank those who provided feedback. We can, however, consider feedback at any time. If you wish to comment on something you particularly liked or disliked, or have suggestions for future festival guests or content, please let us know:
News & Notes Archive
This and past newsletters can be found at: