Once More With Feeling-- August 13-15, 2021 will be our festival's 10th anniversary. 10 years as a meeting place for readers, writers, and other professionals in the literary world. When Words Collide organizers are already at work planning chapter 10 of our festival, and hope to include a few special events to mark the occasion.
If you have suggestions or would like to be a part of making great things happen, please contact us at:
Got Your Festival Pass?
When Words Collide 2021 In-Person or Online?
At this time we are planning an in-person festival for August 2021. Should health concerns prevent us, we will move the entire festival (except the banquet and autograph session) online. Either way, we are also planning to hold an online festival warm-up on Saturday Aug 7, 2021 where we will have some special online presentations and social events.
If you would like to join our organizing committee, we would love to hear from you:
Most people who registered for 2020 opted to forward their passes to 2021, which means we are already 80% sold out. If you are unsure if you are already registered, there are 4 ways to find out:
2021 Festival Guests!
Check out our 10th Anniversary festival guests:
- past president of Crime Writers of Canada and award-winning author of mystery fiction.
- bestselling crime writer and winner of the 2019 Derrick Murdoch Award.
- bestselling author in multiple genres with over 2 million copies sold.
- award-winning speculative fiction author and black belt martial artist.
- Local Authors Manager for Indigo/Chapters/Coles for Western Canada.
- bestselling and award-winning YA fantasy author AKA Michelle Rowen
- bestselling romance and paranormal author, and past president of Toronto Romance Writers.
Book Your Hotel Room
Come celebrate all things Canadian: books, sports, magazines, history and Canadian characters.
The festival program is currently being created. If you are attending next summer and would like to participate in the program, find out how right here:
Once again we will have a full slate of Master Classes by our festival guests. Classes for 2021 will be offered prior to and following the festival. Details TBA.
Shared Author Table
Authors attending the festival who have books for sale not available elsewhere in the Merchants' Corner are welcome to join the IFWA-sponsored cooperative booksellers' table. Sign-up will begin sometime this coming spring.
The Hidden Art Show is back for a third year in the Lake Louise Room on the 2nd floor of the Atrium building. If you are an attending artist at the festival. find out how to apply to show your work here:
Festival passholders are welcome to drop by the Atrium Cafe for a snack and coffee or soda any time between 12 and 5 PM on Saturday and Sunday as well as Sunday evening 7-11 pm for the Dead Dog Social.
Note: Hospitality is not a place for meals. Meals and alcohol may be purchased at the Merchants Corner snack bar, Sage & Co, or Southland Yard.
If you don't plan on attending the festival, but are still in Calgary or have friends who might be interested, we do offer several free events that are open to the public.
1. Festival Guest Readings. This year's festival guests - Cathy Ace, Vicki Delaney, Steena Holmes, Fonda Lee, Morgan Rhodes AKA Michelle Rowen, and Dave Reynolds - will be reading at the Fish Creek Public Library on Thursday Aug 12th from 7-9 pm. They will also be reading at the Delta Calgary South Hotel on Friday Aug 13th from 1-3 pm in the Bonavista Ballroom (Tower Building).
2. Autograph Session. Our festival guests joined by 70+ attending authors will be signing books on Saturday Aug 14th from 8-10 pm in the Bonavista Ballroom (Tower Building).
3. Saturday Night Rapid Readings by attending authors. Sat August 14th from 7-9 PM in the Fireside Room (Tower Building).
4. Merchants Corner. Books by our festival guests and attending authors and publishers are available all weekend during daytime hours in our Merchant Room located in the Nakiska Ballroom (Atrium Building).
5. Hidden Art Show. Works of art created by attending artists are available for viewing and purchase all weekend during daytime hours in our Hidden Art Show located in the Lake Louise room (Atrium Building, 2nd floor)
Note: Not all webcasts are available yet, but are being added weekly.
We would love to hear your feedback for our 2020 online festival. If you wish to comment on something you particularly liked or disliked, or have suggestions for future festival guests or content, please let us know:
News & Notes Archive
This and past newsletters can be found at: