Campaign update #saveOUregions
Today Council voted against the wishes of Senate to close 7 English Regional Offices. This is a flawed proposal based on flawed modelling, with poor timing and no discussion of real alternatives. UCU is hugely disappointed at this ill-advised decision.
A day of strike action will take place on 25 November, followed by rolling strike action in the regions/nations and UCU members working to contract over the next 10 days.
Over 6400 people signed the petition against these proposals, which was presented to the Chair of Council before the Council meeting. Twenty-nine MPs have signed an Early Day Motion opposing the closures.
With 72% of our members voting for strike action, and 82.7% voting for ‘action short of a strike’, the union has a clear mandate for industrial action on this issue. This is the first local dispute in which members have ever been forced to ballot and take action at the Open University.
Senate said ‘no’, staff said ‘no’ and many students/alumni also said ‘no’ to these proposals. Council has taken a terrible decision that could be very damaging for the reputation and future of the university. We will continue to fight these closures.
Contact your MP – Join the Campaign.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Petition address: http://bit.ly/ouclosures
Early day motion: http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2015-16/509
OU UCU Regional Campaign Action List: what can you do?
- Sign the petition at this address: http://bit.ly/ouclosures and forward the petition to others who may be interested.
- Find out if your MP has signed the Early Day Motion (www.parliament.uk/edm/2015-16/509), if not ask them to do so. There is suggested text for contacting your MP on the branch website or email email@example.com
- Use social media to promote the cause and publicise the campaign – tweet using the #saveOUregions and your tweet will automatically appear on this page on the branch website: www.ucu.open.ac.uk/UCU/saveOUregions.html.
- Members are welcome to borrow a UCU pink T-shirt to take a selfie photo, then send it to firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet it with #saveOUregions.
- Send messages of solidarity to colleagues in the English regional centres.
- Take part in the industrial action to support the campaign – all members are being asked to strike for 2 days according to the regional schedule sent to members on 10th November 2015.