University to Host Free Day of Family Fun with Multiple Events Oct. 28
On Oct. 28, the University of Montevallo will host several free events for guests and their families to enjoy.
The annual UM Ghost Walk will allow guests to stroll through some of campus’ most thrilling, chilling historical moments.
The free, all-ages event sponsored by the Division of Academic Affairs, Carmichael Library and The Alabamian, will be held from 6 to 9 p.m., directly after the conclusion of the Montevallo Artwalk.
Tours will begin at Palmer Hall, with ghostly guides leading guests through the spine-tingling haunted history of Reynolds Hall, Main Hall, King House and King Cemetery. Those with a hunger for more ghostly tales and the history behind the stories will have the chance to visit Carmichael Library and pick the brain of UM Archivist Carey Heatherly.
While waiting for the tours to begin, consider dropping by the Montevallo High School parking lot for the Students Today, Alumni Tomorrow Trunk or Treat event from 6 to 9 p.m.
Nominations for Annual Homecoming Awards Due Nov. 1
The UM National Alumni Association is seeking nominations for the 2018 Alumni Homecoming awards.
All online nomination materials for the Distinguished Alumnus Award, the Nathalie Molton Gibbons Alumni Achievement Award and the Nathalie Molton Gibbons Young Alumni Achievement Award are due by Wednesday, Nov. 1.
Find the criteria of each award as well as the nomination forms online.
UM Sustainability Committee Announces Green Fund Awards
The UM Sustainability Committee will successfully help fund eight projects for $29,664. These projects include:
- Bioswale for UMOM Pocket Park: Morgan Pennington, Dr. Susan Caplow (ES) $5,785
- Blocking Sun Today for a Better Tomorrow: Solar Shades to Reduce Energy Consumption: Dennis Yang, Dr. Ted Hoffman (Music) $8,646
- Hydration is Key: Improving Hydration Quality in Myrick Hall: Marlee Webb, Dr. Kurt Fennell (Exercise Science) $2,400
- Hydration Station (UM track): Cage Williamson, Cody Patillo, Ashlie Anderson, Hailey Brown, Julia Marquardt (Athletics) $3,800
- Hydrating Comer: A Proposal to Install Oasis Hydration Stations in Comer Hall: Susan Martin (EFL) $1,649
- Sustaining ValloCycle 2017: Broadening our Horizons: Dr. Hollie Cost (Education). $150
- UMPD Electric Motorcycle: Brian Prady (UMPD). $7,000
- Using Board Games to Enhance Environmental Education: Dr. Jill Wicknick (Biology). $235
The next call for Green Fund proposals will be due Feb. 1. For questions or early feedback for proposals, email Sustainability@montevallo.edu.
Senior Communication Studies Students to Present 7th Annual COMS Day Oct. 26
COMS Day is a student created marquee event for the University of Montevallo’s College of Fine Arts. This fall, the annual event will be held on Thursday, Oct. 26 from 12 to 4 p.m. in Anna Irvin Dining Hall.
Some highlights of this year’s event are a panel discussion with successful communication alumni, a keynote speaker, a featured speaker, networking opportunities and an opportunity fair to showcase different ways to unlock your potential through the Department of Communication.
2018 Registration for Spring & Summer Now Open
The schedule for spring and summer 2018 is now available online. Advisors may begin clearing students to register for both terms. If you have any questions regarding registration, scheduling, CAPP etc. please email Amanda Fox.
Student Withdrawal Deadline This Week
The deadline for students to withdraw from classes is Oct. 24. This is a reminder to continue utilizing the Early Academic Alert System to report struggling students in your classes. Links for the Early Alert system can be found in the Faculty Links section of forUM.
Course Development Grant Applications Due Nov. 3
Applications for this year’s Course Development Grants and Summer Stipends for Pre-Tenured Faculty are due Friday, Nov. 3 by 5 p.m. Application forms can be found online.