Campus to close July 2 & 3 for Independence Day
The UM President’s Office announced that all non-critical offices will be closed on Monday and Tuesday, July 2 and 3, 2018, in recognition of the July 4 holiday. Certain personnel in critical areas may be notified of the need to work on these days. The University will reopen at 8 a.m. on Thursday, July 5, 2018.
IS&T Offers List of Summer Updates
According to Chief Information Officer Craig Gray, several special IS&T projects are set to be completed or worked on by the end of the summer. These include:
- beta mode FalconNet, now available in downtown Montevallo.
- campus computer refreshes, with 95 percent already complete.
- the University’s new fiber Wi-Fi backbone, which has started.
- campus-wide migration from Microsoft Exchange email to Outlook 365 and Windows 7 to Windows 10.
- new leadership for the Technology Advisory Council, which advises the CIO by setting an effective framework for the use of technology. UM Registrar Amanda Fox and Program Coordinator of Technology & Leadership Programs Dr. Jennifer Alexiou-Ray will co-chair the committee.
Sigma Delta Pi Seeking Donations for Guatemala
Sigma Delta Pi, UM’s Spanish honor society, is collecting donations of $1 or more for affected communities in Guatemala after a massive volcanic eruption earlier this month. If you would like to donate, please drop-off your donation to Penny Allen in the Office of Foreign Languages (Comer Hall 101). If the office is closed, use the mail-slot to the left of the door. Deadline for all donations is Thursday, June 14.
UM Fishing Team Within Top 10 of Cabela’s School of the Year Standings
As of May 30, UM’s fishing team has landed Montevallo as one of 10 schools of the year by Cabela’s. Fishing team members Justin Barnes and Adam Carroll recently finished at 16th in Cabela’s Collegiate Bass Fishing’s National Championship in Florence, Alabama.
Nominations Open for Retired Faculty and Staff Award
The Retired Faculty and Staff Award is presented by University Advancement in the fall to honor a retired faculty or staff member for excellence in service and loyalty to UM
To be eligible, a nominee must have retired from UM before July 1, 2013. Retired faculty and staff that have returned to UM in a full-time or part-time capacity are not eligible.
Nominations are accepted throughout the year with a deadline of July 1 prior to the award presentation at the annual Retired Faculty and Staff Luncheon in September. The nomination form may be submitted electronically or in print form and is available online. Call 205-665-6219 for more information.