University Plans for Spring 2021
This spring, the University will continue to follow the same protocols as outlined in the Falcon Forward plan developed and distributed last summer, with minor changes related to academics, re-entry testing and more. Details about the University’s spring plans can be found at montevallo.edu/about-um/marcomm/coronavirus-information/october-19.
UM to Host 2023 NCAA Division II Men’s and Women’s Cross Country Regional
The NCAA has awarded the Division II Men’s and Women’s Cross Country Regional to UM for the 2023 season. This will be the third time the NCAA has hosted a cross country championship at UM, after the University previously hosted events in 2014 and 2016. Read more.
Undergraduate Research Day 2021
Undergraduate Research Day will be held virtually on Wednesday, March 17, 2021. Online registration is open now through Feb. 5, 2021, at montevallo.edu/undergraduate-research-day. The format of the event will be determined as the date approaches. If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Cindy Tidwell or Tonja Battle at URProgram@montevallo.edu.
Montevallo Connection Needs
Please see below for some areas in which you, your class or your department can assist and support our local schools based on our latest Montevallo Connection meeting with MES, MMS and MHS administrators.
- Volunteers will be needed closer to Christmas to wrap a present provided by the administrators for every single student at MES.
- Leaders of Tomorrow (L.O.T.) group needs virtual speakers to promote leadership. This could be a motivational speech or even a skill (i.e. interview skills) you would like to teach.
- The Ready to Work program needs volunteers to speak to students about what to expect after high school in the career world.
- Tutors are needed as students have missed more days of school than normal due to the pandemic.
Contact Dr. Ji Ji Davis if would like more information on these needs.
Spring 2021 Peace and Justice Studies Courses
Advisors, please share our spring 2021 Peace and Justice Studies (PJS) courses with your advisees:
- ENG 232-001, ENG 232-002 (non-cross-listed elective) Global Literature: Shakespeare and Contemporary Society, Atwood
- PJS 370/SOC 360 Social Change, Lowry
- PJS 370/SWK 373 Social Policy, Tetloff
- PJS 470/ES 401/SWK 411 Immersive Environmental Storytelling, Tetloff
- PJS 470/NPS 420/MG 420 Social Entrepreneurship and Sustainability, Smith
- PJS 470/POS448/ES350 Environmental Policy, Eckelman
Visit the Peace and Justice Studies webpage for more information about courses and the PJS minor.
Fundraisers for UM Cheer and Dance Teams
UM cheer and dance teams are now selling Cloud9 bedsheets. The sale runs through Friday, Nov. 6. No matter the size, each four-piece (three-piece for twin) set is $40. Bamboo pillows, pillow cases and more are also available. For more information and to purchase, please contact your favorite cheerleader, dance team member or Melissa Stano.
UM cheer is also raising money for competition and you can show your support by grabbing dinner at Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers in Hoover on Wednesday, Oct. 28. You MUST bring the flyer for your order to count for fundraising efforts. You can find the flyer at Instagram.com/montevallocheerleading or by emailing Melissa Stano.
Nominations Open for 15 Within 15
Do you know an accomplished young alum of the University of Montevallo? The UMNAA Junior Board is looking to honor alumni who have achieved greatness within 15 years of graduating. Nominations are now being accepted for the new 15 Within 15 young alumni recognition. The deadline for nominations is Nov. 1. Submit your nomination online.