No Vallo Voice Nov. 23
There will be no Vallo Voice the week of Nov. 23. Vallo Voice will resume Monday, Nov. 30. Please note that the deadline for submissions for the Nov. 30 edition of Vallo Voice is noon on Thursday, Nov. 19. Submit your news and announcements at montevallo.edu/vallo-voice.
Important Holiday Deadlines
With the excitement of the upcoming holidays, please read the following information to be sure all HR and payroll responsibilities are handled in a timely manner. The deadlines below are not timesheet deadlines. These are the dates that PAFs, deduction changes, direct deposit information, etc., need to be received for HR/payroll purposes.
Holiday deadlines for November and December payrolls for all faculty, staff and students:
- All information affecting the Nov. 27 bi-weekly payroll and the Dec. 1 monthly payroll needs to be received by Human Resources no later than Monday, Nov. 16, at noon.
- All information affecting the Dec. 24 and Jan. 8 bi-weekly payroll and the Jan. 4 monthly payroll needs to be received by Human Resources no later than Wednesday, Dec. 10, at noon.
- Per the Payroll Office, timesheet deadlines will remain the same with the exception of the Dec. 6-Dec. 19 pay period. Timesheets for this pay period are due by Sunday, Dec. 20, at noon.
You will notice there will be several pay periods open at the same time. Please pay close attention to the dates when you are entering or approving time. If you are not working over the holiday break, you may submit all timesheets as soon as you see they are available. Further details and instructions will be included on the normal timesheet reminder emails you receive every two weeks.
Do you know a student who is doing great things on campus or in the community? University Marketing & Communications is looking for standout students to feature in our student spotlight series in the spring. Visit this link to nominate a student to be featured.
Library Hours After Thanksgiving Break
Carmichael Library will close at 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 24, for the Thanksgiving holiday break and will reopen at 8 a.m. on Monday, Nov. 30.
Library hours for Monday, Nov. 30, through Friday, Dec. 11, are as follows:
- Monday through Thursday: 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: 2 to 10 p.m.
Please note: For the final two hours on Sunday through Thursday (8 to 10 p.m.), the ground floor only will be open due to staffing constraints. Students who are on the upper floors at that time will be asked to relocate to the ground floor. Research assistance from a librarian (online or in-person) will be available until 8 p.m.
Alumni Association Accepting Award Nominations
Please consider nominating deserving individuals to receive one of the Alumni Association’s awards, which are presented at various times during the year. The following award nominations are due Dec. 1:
- Nathalie Molton Gibbons Young Achiever’s Award
- Nathalie Molton Gibbons Alumni Achievement Award
- Distinguished Alumnus Award
Faculty, staff, students, alumni and friends are welcome to nominate alumni for these awards. Nominate today!
Montevallo Main Street Empty Storefront Decorating Contest
Student groups and youth groups are invited to create holiday designs for empty storefronts on Main Street for a chance to win a cash prize for their organization. This year, everyone needs a little extra holiday cheer. We hope you will join us in making downtown Montevallo look magical and festive.
Due to COVID-19, we will be doing things differently this year. Groups are asked to create a digital holiday banner design. Once the artwork is submitted and approved, Montevallo Main Street will have the banners printed and installed in windows. Alternatively, groups may also draw/paint on butcher paper. The finished banners will measure approximately 3 feet wide by 6 feet tall.
- First place prize: $200
- Second place prize: $150
- Third place prize: $100
Interested groups and organizations must register by emailing email@example.com. Then they will be given guidelines and design tips. Designs must be submitted before 5 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 23.
Winners will be announced virtually on Thursday, Dec. 3, on the Montevallo Main Street Facebook Page.
Spring 2021 Re-entry Testing Details
Re-entry testing is a requirement for students who will be on campus during the spring 2021 semester. Students who choose to be completely online and who will not be living on campus or using campus facilities (dining, recreation, library, etc.) will not be tested.
This month, the University will distribute Everlywell self-administered COVID-19 test kits to all students who will be attending in-person classes or utilizing campus facilities during the spring 2021 semester. Students will be instructed on how to self-administer the test which will then need to be shipped to a certified lab through the method indicated seven days PRIOR to their intended date of return to campus. Tests MUST be taken and shipped on the same day. Everlywell results will automatically be submitted to the University. Students who misplace their free Everlywell test kits will be responsible for securing their own test at their expense prior to returning for spring semester AND will need to submit results to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Re-entry test distribution dates:
- Nov. 16-20: Housing and Residence Life staff will distribute self-administer test kits to all students living in residence halls.
- Nov. 18-20: Self-administer test kits will be distributed to commuter students at Farmer Hall from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day.
- Nov. 23-24: Self-administer test kits will be distributed to commuter students at Farmer Hall from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day.
- Nov. 30-Dec. 4: Self-administer test kits will be available for pickup by all students at Farmer Hall from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day.
- Dec. 8: Spring 2021 new registrants will be mailed self-administer test kits.
- Jan. 4: Returning students who registered over the winter break will be mailed test kits.
- Jan. 6: Spring 2021 new registrants will be mailed self-administer test kits.
- Jan. 11-15: Self-administer test kits will be distributed to students who did not previously receive a test kit in Farmer Hall.
Questions about testing should be sent to email@example.com.
Important Information for Students from the Cashier’s Office
Students can plan ahead now for spring 2021 by reviewing the Important Deadlines page regarding spring 2021 at montevallo.edu/important-deadlines.
- Interested students may enroll in a spring 2021 payment plan at zero percent down and $40 enrollment through the end of November.
- Students with no SSN on file must complete the W-9s form and submit it with proper identification to the Registrar’s Office. This will update the student’s account for tax reporting (1098-T).
- If students would like to receive their 1098-T electronically in 2021, they can opt-in or if students would like to withdraw their consent due to graduation or other reasons, they can opt-out. If students are receiving their tax form via paper mail, they should make sure their address is up-to-date in Banner Self-Service. To opt-in or opt-out, please visit montevallo.edu/cashier/1098-t-consent-information for further information.
- Any student interested in setting up direct deposit must provide their UM ID or a valid state ID with voided check or bank letterhead with account number and routing number IN PERSON to the Cashier’s Office. Due to security reasons this is not acceptable by email or fax.
- Students who have credit balances beginning Nov. 16, 2020, through Jan. 20, 2021, may charge books at UM’s Barnes & Noble Bookstore.
- Employee waivers, dependent waivers or third-party contract forms must be submitted by Monday, Dec. 14. for funds to reflect on student accounts in a timely manner.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact the Cashier’s Office at 205-665-6065 or visit montevallo.edu/cashier.