UM Post Office Holiday Hours
With the holiday break approaching, please note that UM Post Office services will be as follows:
UM Post Office in Farmer Hall will close Monday, Dec. 16, at 5 p.m.
Farmer Hall and the UM Post Office will open Thursday, Dec. 26, from noon until 5 p.m. for access to UM Post Office boxes. The UM Post Office window/counter will be open between noon and 1 p.m. If you are expecting large amounts of mail or have outgoing mail, this will be the time to pick up mail or drop off outgoing mail.
UPS, FedEx and other special carriers will not run to campus over the break. All packages will be held at their facilities until Jan. 2, 2020.
If you have any questions, please call Amy Brown at 205-665-6571 or Johnny Holsombeck at 205-665-6146. Thank you and have a Merry Christmas!
Plan Ahead for Spring 2020
Charge books at UM’s Barnes & Noble Bookstore against your credit balance and make sure to read these important deadlines from the Cashier’s Office.
Congratulations to FDAC Teaching and Scholarly Projects Grant Recipients
The Faculty Development Advisory Committee would like to congratulate this year’s recipients of the Teaching and Scholarly Projects Grants. Teaching and Scholarly Projects Grants are designed to support and promote faculty innovation in scholarship, creative endeavors and/or teaching. The grant provides up to $2,000 for supplies and expenses necessary to achieve the project’s stated goals.
This year’s recipients are:
- Marcus Lane — New Play Development: the Bone Orchard by Elyzabeth Gregory Wilder
- Brook Pruitt — Errors & Trials
- Dr. Betsy Richardson and Dr. Melissa Shepherd — “Biopsychosocial factors affecting the social evaluation of pain”
- Lee Somers — “Scapes: East and West Remixed”
- Dr. Meredith Tetloff and Dr. Jennifer Rickel — “Peace and Justice Studies Mino Enhancement”
- Dr. Eric Vaccarella — “Using Camtasia Software to Subtitle Foreign Language Films”
- Dr. Kelly Wacker — “Looking for William Holbrook Beard: a new approach using podcasting”
- Dr. Ashley Wurzbacher — “Boldface Conference for Emerging Writers”
Due to the availability of additional funding, there will be a second round of applications accepted for the Teaching and Scholarly Projects Grants. Applications are due by 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 21, 2020, at this link.
More information about this funding mechanism and application instructions can be found on the FDAC webpage. Questions may be directed to FDAC@montevallo.edu.
Falcons Soar Higher in Latest D2 Regional Poll
Off the heels of a 22-point victory last week, the University of Montevallo women’s basketball team moved up into the top five in the week’s D2SIDA Regional poll. Read more.
Falcons Fighting Cancer T-Shirts Available
UM Athletics is still selling Falcons Fighting Cancer T-shirts. These long sleeve shirts make great stocking stuffers and the proceeds will stay in the local area to support breast cancer research and awareness. $15 for sizes S-XL, $20 for XXL and XXXL. Cash or check only. Visit the Athletics Department in the SAC to purchase your shirts.
Faculty Book Club Spring 2020
The Malone Center for Excellence in Teaching’s Spring 2020 Faculty Book Club will feature "Small Teaching Online: Applying Learning Science in Online Classes" by Flower Darby and James M. Lang. This book provides practical, easily implemented strategies to improve student learning in online classes. Book discussions will be held at 3:30 p.m. on Feb. 3, March 2 and April 6. Books are provided, but participation is limited to the first 10 registrants. Register today at http://bit.ly/BookClubSpring20.
Falcon Food Pantry Donations Welcome
UM Counseling Services invites you to support the Falcon Food Pantry now through Dec. 13 in Farmer Hall. What do you need to do to support?
- Look for the tree next to our shopping cart.
- Select an ornament off the tree.
- Purchase the non-perishable item listed on your ornament. The quantity is up to you.
- Bring your donation and ornament to Counseling Services by Friday, Dec. 13.
Counseling Services is located in the lower part of Main Hall. Call 205-665-6245 if additional information is needed. All donations benefit UM students.