I had a lovely time at Norfolk Island - it's a very relaxing, picturesque, friendly place with lots of things to see and do. At times I wondered if I had stepped back to a previous century (in a nice way). Got used to doing the "Norfolk Wave" for every passing car, and remembered to give way to all wildlife. Great excitement on my last morning when the wind finally dropped down enough for a new bus to be offloaded from the cargo ship (on two lighters (boats), lashed together with a platform on top). No OH&S inspectors in sight!
- The Victorian Woodworkers Association is calling for entries for Double Take in Wood, a juried exhibition of Australian contemporary woodwork with two distinct starting points:
Take 1 - Fine Woodworking, showcasing the breadth and talent in Australian wood design, and
Take 2 - Create from a Crate, challenging woodworkers to make a beautiful object or furniture piece from discarded timber pallets and crates. Entries close on 3 April 2017. A flyer is attached. Conditions of entry document is also attached. Visit the exhibition website for more information on how to enter - www.vwaexhibitions.org.au
- AWTEX - see below - closing date for entries is 19 May 2017
The list is (mostly) in date order.
- Woodturners of the Goulburn Valley and having their Woodturning & Woodworking Craft Show, at the Eastbank Centre, Welsford Street, Shepparton on Saturday 11 and Sunday 12 March 2017. Their website is www.woodturnersgv.com A flyer is attached
- The Lost Trades Fair will be held at Kyneton, VIctoria, on 11 and 12 March 2017. Further information here.
- This year's Melbourne Hand Tool Event will take place from March 18–19 at the new premises of Vesper Tools at 9A Leah Grove, Carrum Downs, Vic. Read more here.
- The Maleny Wood Show will be held from 29 April to 1 May, 9 am 9am - 4pm daily at the Maleny Showgrounds
Maleny, QLD. Further information from http://www.malenywoodexpo.com/
- Wangaratta Woodworkers Club is holding it's fifth Scroll Saw Weekend on 6 & 7 May 2017. A fun filled weekend with lots of laughter and friendship and, of course, Scroll Sawing. Pyrographers welcome! Further details and registration form attached
- The Cooroora Woodworkers Club annual show is on again over two days on 12-13 May 2017 at Cooroy on Queensland's Sunshine Coast. There will be displays by club members and other woodworkers, competitions and quality timber for sale, from 9 a.m. onwards. The show will run in conjunction with the Cooroy Fusion Festival, so there will also be local artists, entertainers, artisans, food, community groups and much more to see. More information about the club is available at cooroorawoodworkersclub.com. Contact: (07) 54426995 (mornings Mon-Sat), or email@example.com.
- The Ballarat Woodworkers Guild are to conduct a 'Woodies Swap Meet' at the Ballarat Showgrounds on Saturday, May 13, 2017, commencing at 10 am and closing around 4 pm. All sites are under cover with free parking available in the Showgrounds. Sites are available at $50 for a 3mx3m site or $80 for a 3mx6m site. Each site includes admission for two people with public admission at $10/person. Catering will be available on site.
Brendan Stemp will be demonstrating throughout the day and his knowledge and skills will certainly add to what should be a rewarding day.
This is indeed an opportunity for you to obtain a site and take the opportunity to empty your shed of those unused tools while making room for the many bargains (including woodworking machinery and tools and timber) which will be on offer on the day ie BUY, SWAP and SELL.
To register use our website www.ballaratwoodies.com.au or call Brian on 0428 325 902.
- The Peninsula Woodturners Guild will be having an exhibition of woodturning at the Peninsula Community Theatre corner Wilson’s Rd and Nepean Highway, Mornington from May 24 to May 28 2017.
The Guild has a membership of nearly 200 and every 2 years it holds a competition amongst its members of items of woodturning, judged by professional turners. Many of these items are also offered for sale. A flyer is attached.
- The Timber and Working with Wood Shows for 2017 will be held as follows:
Brisbane - 26 to 28 May 2017 - RNA Showgrounds, Bowen Hills
Sydney - 23 - 25 June 2017 - Sydney Showground, Sydney Olympic Park
Melbourne - 8 - 10 September 2017 - Caulfield Racecourse
Canberra - 27 - 29 October 2017 - Canberra Racing Club
Further information from http://www.timbershows.com.au/ or http://impressiveexhibitions.com.au/#
- Albury/Wodonga is holding their 8th Annual Woodcarving Weekend the Clubrooms, Wodonga Showgrounds, Wilson St. Wodonga Victoria on Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th June 2017. Booking is essential, as only 25 places are available. Registration form attached.
- The Australian Woodturning Exhibition (AWTEX) will be held on 16-18 June 2017 - see below for further information.
- The Perth Wood Show will be held 7 - 9 August, 9.30am - 4.30pm daily at the Claremont Showgrounds, Claremont, WA. Further information from http://www.wawoodshow.com.au/ The show will also incorporate the WA Craft Show in the same venue.
- Victorian Woodworkers Association 2017 Exhibition - Double Take in Wood, - is a juried exhibition, of Australian contemporary woodwork with two distinct starting points.
Take 1 - Fine Woodworking, - showcasing the breadth and talent in Australian wood design, and,
Take 2 - Create from a Crate, challenging woodworkers to make a beautiful object or furniture piece from discarded timber pallets and crates. The exhibition will be held at Manningham Art Gallery - 18th October to 11th November 2017. Further information from www.vwaexhibitions.org.au
- Kingston City Hall
985 Nepean Highway
Corner of Nepean Highway and South Road
Moorabbin VIC 3189
This year's show will be bigger and will have exciting new features. This year there is over $15000 worth of prizes to be won!!
The closing date for entries is 19 May 2017. The following documents are attached:
Conditions of entry
Single page brochure
The Australian Woodturning Exhibition (AWTEX) will be held on 16-18 June 2017 at a new venue:
For further information on entry of exhibits, live demonstrations, displays and visiting keep your eye on website www.awtex.com.au or contact Rachelle Leaver on 0416656786
- CWC SPONSORSHIP The Council of Woodwork Clubs (CWC) have kindly sponsored 2 NEW WOOD CLUB PRIZES for The Australian Woodturning Exhibition 16-18 June 2017. Yes your wood club could win one of two prizes -- $1200 or $800 to buy new equipment and tools. Open to any Novice who belongs to a club and has never entered before or has not entered the exhibition in the past two years. Submit as many pieces across all categories (within the rules allowance), check the Club Eligibility Box and fill in your clubs name on the entry form and one of your pieces could win a great prize for your club. The winners will not go empty handed!! The first prize winner will receive the opportunity to attend a 2-day training course by Brendan Stemp. The runner up will win a mystery prize bag.
THE CWC HOPES ALL CLUBS WILL ENCOURAGE THEIR MEMBERS TO PARTICIPATE AND ATTEND. THIS IS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR CLUBS TO COME TOGETHER FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY IN ONE PLACE AND SEE WHAT IS GOING ON IN OTHER CLUBS AND WHAT NEW THINGS ARE HAPPENING IN TURNING.
That's all for now. If your club is planning an event - or you know of other activities that would be of interest to fellow Woodies - we're happy to include it on the listing (but please give plenty of notice). Lots of members travel and they are interested to know about events that might be on when they are in that area.
All the best to you and your fellow club members (and families of course)
Council of Woodwork Clubs Administration