It's chilly in Melbourne today - we've come down with a thump. I hope the cyclone hasn't had too much of an affect with our clubs - hope you are all OK.
I've been busy working on the CWC's new website - it's nearly, but not quite, finished but I hope to be able to give you details in the next newsletter.
If your club has a regular newsletter and you'd like to make it available to other clubs via the CWC website, please include our email address on your distribution list (or give me details of where your newsletter can be downloaded).
- The Victorian Woodworkers Association is calling for entries for Double Take in Wood, a juried exhibition of Australian contemporary woodwork with two distinct starting points:
Take 1 - Fine Woodworking, showcasing the breadth and talent in Australian wood design, and
Take 2 - Create from a Crate, challenging woodworkers to make a beautiful object or furniture piece from discarded timber pallets and crates. Entries close on 3 April 2017. A flyer is attached. Conditions of entry document is also attached. Visit the exhibition website for more information on how to enter - www.vwaexhibitions.org.au
- AWTEX - see below - closing date for entries is 19 May 2017
The list is (mostly) in date order.
- The Perth Wood School is holding a Tools, Timbers and Techniques day on 8 April at 81 Abernethy Road, Belmont, WA. Further information.
- The Maleny Wood Show will be held from 29 April to 1 May, 9 am 9am - 4pm daily at the Maleny Showgrounds Maleny, QLD. Further information from http://www.malenywoodexpo.com/
- Wangaratta Woodworkers Club is holding it's fifth Scroll Saw Weekend on 6 & 7 May 2017. A fun filled weekend with lots of laughter and friendship and, of course, Scroll Sawing. Pyrographers welcome! Further details and registration form attached
- The Cooroora Woodworkers Club annual show is on again over two days on 12-13 May 2017 at Cooroy on Queensland's Sunshine Coast. There will be displays by club members and other woodworkers, competitions and quality timber for sale, from 9 a.m. onwards. The show will run in conjunction with the Cooroy Fusion Festival, so there will also be local artists, entertainers, artisans, food, community groups and much more to see. More information about the club is available at cooroorawoodworkersclub.com. Contact: (07) 54426995 (mornings Mon-Sat), or email@example.com.
- The Ballarat Woodworkers Guild are to conduct a 'Woodies Swap Meet' at the Ballarat Showgrounds on Saturday, May 13, 2017, commencing at 10 am and closing around 4 pm. All sites are under cover with free parking available in the Showgrounds. Sites are available at $50 for a 3mx3m site or $80 for a 3mx6m site. Each site includes admission for two people with public admission at $10/person. Catering will be available on site.
Brendan Stemp will be demonstrating throughout the day and his knowledge and skills will certainly add to what should be a rewarding day.
This is indeed an opportunity for you to obtain a site and take the opportunity to empty your shed of those unused tools while making room for the many bargains (including woodworking machinery and tools and timber) which will be on offer on the day ie BUY, SWAP and SELL.
To register use our website www.ballaratwoodies.com.au or call Brian on 0428 325 902.
- The Peni nsula Woodturners Guild will be having an exhibition of woodturning at the Peninsula Community Theatre corner Wilson’s Rd and Nepean Highway, Mornington from May 24 to May 28 2017.
The Guild has a membership of nearly 200 and every 2 years it holds a competition amongst its members of items of woodturning, judged by professional turners. Many of these items are also offered for sale. A flyer is attached.
- The Timber and Working with Wood Shows for 2017 will be held as follows:
Brisbane - 26 to 28 May 2017 - RNA Showgrounds, Bowen Hills
Sydney - 23 - 25 June 2017 - Sydney Showground, Sydney Olympic Park
Melbourne - 8 - 10 September 2017 - Caulfield Racecourse
Canberra - 27 - 29 October 2017 - Canberra Racing Club
Further information from http://www.timbershows.com.au/ or http://impressiveexhibitions.com.au/#
- Albury/Wodonga is holding their 8th Annual Woodcarving Weekend the Clubrooms, Wodonga Showgrounds, Wilson St. Wodonga Victoria on Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th June 2017. Booking is essential, as only 25 places are available. Registration form attached.
- The Narooma and Eurobodalla Woodcraft Clubs are holding the 22nd Annual South Coast Regional Exhibition of Woodwork (the Tilba Woodshow) on the Saturday and Sunday of the June long weekend (10-11 June 2017) in the Community Hall, Central Tilba, on the lovely NSW South Coast. There is an extensive range of wood work products and supplies for sale, as well as an exhibition of specially crafted items.
- The Australian Woodturning Exhibition (AWTEX) will be held on 16-18 June 2017 - see below for further information.
- The Perth Wood Show will be held 7 - 9 August, 9.30am - 4.30pm daily at the Claremont Showgrounds, Claremont, WA. Further information from http://www.wawoodshow.com.au/ The show will also incorporate the WA Craft Show in the same venue.
- Victorian Woodworkers Association 2017 Exhibition - Double Take in Wood, - is a juried exhibition, of Australian contemporary woodwork with two distinct starting points.
Take 1 - Fine Woodworking, - showcasing the breadth and talent in Australian wood design, and,
Take 2 - Create from a Crate, challenging woodworkers to make a beautiful object or furniture piece from discarded timber pallets and crates. The exhibition will be held at Manningham Art Gallery - 18th October to 11th November 2017. Further information from www.vwaexhibitions.org.au
- The Royal Melbourne Show will be held this year from 23 September to 3 October 2017. A copy of the Art, Craft and Cookery Competition Schedule, which includes categories for Marquetry, Toy making and Woodcraft may be obtained here. The entry form will be available in May.
Australian Wood Review snippets
- INVITING ALL TURNERS TO ENTER THE AUSTRALIAN WOODTURNING EXHIBITION
The 2017 exhibition is now well under way and we are accepting entries for the show now. Further information, the entry form and conditions of entry are available below, or on the AWTEX website www.awtex.com.au. Alternatively call Rachelle on 0416656786 to have an entry form sent to you. Closing date for entries is 19th May, 2017.
Don't forget that CWC is providing two club prizes this year. To be eligible for a club prize you must be a NOVICE, have not entered before OR have not entered in the exhibition in the last 2 years OR have never been judged. The winners of these prizes will win $1200 and $800 respectively for their club and also win an individual prize. If you haven't thought of entering before because you think you are not good enough now is your chance to dip your toe in the competition. Who knows you might bring in a great prize for yourself and your club. You have nothing to lose!!
Remember the show has moved and is now being held at:
Kingston City Hall
2nd Floor, Banqueting Rooms
985 Nepean Highway (corner of Nepean Highway and South Road)
The following documents are attached:
Conditions of entry
Entry form (revised version)
Single page brochure
THE CWC HOPES ALL CLUBS WILL ENCOURAGE THEIR MEMBERS TO PARTICIPATE AND ATTEND. THIS IS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR CLUBS TO COME TOGETHER FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY IN ONE PLACE AND SEE WHAT IS GOING ON IN OTHER CLUBS AND WHAT NEW THINGS ARE HAPPENING IN TURNING.
That's all for now. If your club is planning an event - or you know of other activities that would be of interest to fellow Woodies - we're happy to include it on the listing (but please give plenty of notice). Lots of members travel and they are interested to know about events that might be on when they are in that area.
All the best to you and your fellow club members (and families of course)
Council of Woodwork Clubs Administration