Firstly a Happy New Year from CDS!
We hope you had a good Christmas and are loooking forward to 2019 as much as we are.
As you may remember due to a medical emergency we had to postpone our planned October Double Bill at almost the last minute but deciced to stage it at the end of February.
We have all the cast for the two plays available - bar one in The Browning Version.
We need to recast the supporting role of PETER GILBERT in this
classic one act play.
Anyone able to play a young(ish) man (with appropriate makeup if required!
) is invited to come along on Saturday 5th January from 11am to meet the cast and director Emma at the White Harte meeting room.
And of course you can read Peter Gilbert's lines.
- The performances are Thu 21st - Sat 23rd February (half term week)
- The scenes that the Gilberts are in are quite limited
- And Peter Gilbert has about 50 lines
- So the rehearsals should only be a few evenings or at weekends
- Peter is the younger successor teacher to the protagonist Crocker-Harris (whi is in his 60s)
Might this suit you, or someone you know?
- Experience would be ideal - but we will support anyone who is willing and able!
- These roles might well suit a student (A level or University) who loves theatre and who would like to work with a group of experienced actors.
- Or it would just as well suit a slightly older man who'd like to work with CDS.
- With focused rehearsals we think the impact on academic work will be minimal, and it will all be over before the end of half-term.
About the Play
- The Browning Version is often considered Rattigan’s masterpiece, tells a story of British reserve, as characters develop and and the situation builds to an intense emotional peak that finally reveals the sensitivity behind the stiff upper lip with unexpected strength replacing weakness.
- Ill health is forcing Andrew Crocker-Harris to retire from teaching Latin & Greek at a public school. His wife despises him for his failures and finds consolation with Frank, a younger teacher. She openly taunts Andrew while Frank watches with disgust and shame. The wife knows she has lost Frank- but even more bitter is the realization he’s now Andrew’s fast friend.
- Peter Gilbert is the incoming modern languages teacher, who togther wiyth his wide will be moving into the Crocker-Harris's flat (where all the play is set), together with his wife. Crocker-Harris therefore has to face the fact that he is being replaced in his marriage, his position, academic subject and home as well... But he finds solace from an unexpected source...
Finally a reminder from the secretary.
Subscriptions fall due on January 1st, with the same rates as last year.
- Individual (£10)
- Student (£5)
- Senior (£5)
- Dual Senior (£10)
- Family (£15)
We are one of the friendliest drama groups around and genuinely welcome new members!
Please check if your standing order is still in place - or this would be a great time to set one up!
or to join CDS
if you are only a supporter!
We try to avoid seeing the same faces in every show and seek to actively develop or introduce new talent and support.
We have been successful enough to now be expanding our number and range of productions! So wy not come along and meet us! You could find hidden talents, a new hobby, and new friends besides!
You can sign up to get your own copy of our monthly newsletter, (and optional special interests) or you can simply ask for audience alert emails with show dates and ticket announcements.