SDGs Today would like to present “My School Today!: The Why and How of Timely School Location Data”, an exploration of our new initiative, My School Today!. In support of SDG 4 Quality Education, SDGs Today launched My School Today! to engage students, local communities, and SDG 4 stakeholders in mapping schools across Africa. Utilizing OpenStreetMap as an open-source solution to gaps in timely education data, we can utilize local insights and freely accessible data to aid ministries of education and local policymakers in education planning and response.
Featuring guests from supporting organizations, we will be providing a panel discussion followed by a technical demonstration of how anyone can put schools on the map with OSM or ArcGIS Survey123 and explore potential use-cases for timely education data.
Objectives of the Event
- Discuss the state of data on school locations and its impact on SDG 4-related policies
- Provide a technical overview of how participants can georeference schools within My School Today!
- Highlight potential use-cases of timely school location data
- Encourage participation in the “My School Today” Call to Action
9:00 Welcome and Introduction
9:05 Keynote - Professor Jeffrey Sachs, SDSN
9:10 Panel Discussion
- Ms. Naroa Zurutuza, Giga Technology Lead, UNICEF
- Ms. Raya Ahmada, Assistant Lecturer, State University of Zanzibar and YouthMappers Regional Ambassador
- Africa GeoPortal (confirmed)
9:40 Technical Demonstration by Mr. Kiggudde Deogratius, OSM Uganda and Project Manager for HOT Uganda
10:00 Technical Demonstration by Mr. Jason Sawle, Global Manager for Schools, Esri
10:20 Q&A with Participants
10:30 Closing Remarks