Dear Madam or Sir
We are pleased to announce the Dealing with the Past & Conflict Transformation Course, offered by swisspeace and the University of Basel.
Finding a way to deal with a violent past following events such as civil war, the end of an authoritarian regime or occupation, is often argued to be the basis for lasting peace, democracy and the rule of law. In this 5-day course, you will examine the potentials and challenges of designing and implementing transitional justice and dealing with the past processes. Course methodologies include expert inputs, peer exchange, a study visit to a Swiss memorial centre, and case studies such as the challenges faced by the Kenyan Truth, Justice and Reconciliation Commission and the reintegration of former combatants in Colombia.
Leading scholars and experienced practitioners from swisspeace, other academic institutions and civil society organizations are part of this course:
- Elisabeth Baumgartner and Dr. Lisa Ott, Co-heads, Dealing with the Past Program, swisspeace
- Dr. Enzo Nussio, DDR specialist, Center for Security Studies, ETH Zürich
- Tecla Wanjala, former Commissioner and Vice-Chair of the Truth, Justice and Reconciliation Commission of Kenya
- Alain Werner, Director of Civitas Maxima (tbc)
- Pablo de Greiff, former UN Special Rapporteur on the promotion of truth, justice, reparation and guarantees of non-recurrence