There's a School Board meeting today. Here's the agenda!
Next week: You Rock reports from Syre and Shorecrest!!
Well Done to the following Shoreline PTAs!!
Brookside PTA 6.12.15 Silver
Meridian Park Family Association PTA 6.12.45 Gold
Shoreline Children's Center PTA 6.12.5 Platinum
Melvin G. Syre PTA 6.12.70 Silver
Kellogg Middle PTSA 6.12.85 Platinum
LUCKY LEAP YEAR:
GO FOR 29 BY FEBRUARY 29
In honor of leaping forward, the goal is to stretch ourselves a bit and go for 29 members between January 1 and February 29!
1 - Increase over last year's members by 29
2 - Add 29 members between January 1 - February 9
3 - Increase your membership over last year by 29%
To learn more about the contest and BONUS entry opportunities, download the flier, FAQ, and entry form.
$150 Gift Certificate to the PTA Store
One Night at the Great Wolf Lodge
Three Day WSPTA Convention Registration
Hopefully your Awards chairs are busy soliciting nominations and getting those plans underway. Some things to remember to pass on:
PLEASE send your nominations for Council awards to Jenny Farnam: firstname.lastname@example.org. It can be a simple email. Last year, we gave Outstanding Volunteer, Outstanding Service, Outstanding Advocate, and Outstanding Business/Organization. Nominate for one or all. But please send in your choices!!
- $48 of the $50 that you send to the State for your awards goes directly to scholarships
- You can choose which awards to offer: Golden Acorn (Outstanding Volunteer), Golden Apple (Outstanding Educator), Outstanding Advocate, Outstanding Service, Lifetime Membership
- Make sure your Chairs are working off a list of prior recipients. Sometimes people you think must have won in the past have not. Sometimes people you don't think have won did so before you were paying attention!
- Consider giving a separate recognition for outgoing (retiring) volunteers. The year that someone is leaving the school should not necessarily mean it's the year to recognize them with an award, but it's important to highlight volunteers who have contributed to the PTA and are moving on.
- Remember that the Council Recognition Dinner is set for April 27. Work backwards from that date so that your winners can be surprised AND participate in the dinner.
- Also remember that the price of the Council event is $30/seat. You are welcome to invite winners, plus ones, Presidents, Principals, or other representatives. Check your budget to gauge how many winners you can support and how you want to support them at the event.
Thank you to all 200+ that attended Focus Day 2016! What a great day to Stand Up for all kids in Washington.
Special thanks go to:
- Superintendent of Public Instruction, Randy Dorn
- State Budget Assistant, Kate Davis
- Representative Pat Sullivan, D-Covington
- Chad Magendanz, R-Issaquah
- Senator Rosemary McAuliffe, D-Bothell
"Advocacy is not a one day event," Duncan Taylor, WSPTA Legislative Director.
Didn't make it to Focus Day? Most of Shoreline didn't. You can still participate by running a Take 5 postcard campaign or asking all your membership to email legislators this month!!
PTA & The Law
MON, FEB 8, 2016 AT 6:00 PM
Region 6 PTA & the Law / Bothell
Eastside Foursquare Church, Bothell, WA
Please feel free to bring your dinner and eat before or during class.
Drinks and dessert will be provided.
Doors open at 5:30 pm and the class begins at 6:00 pm
PTA & the Law is a vital training for your entire board and school principal. PTA & the Law deals with state & federal rules and regulations for running a charitable, tax-exempt nonprofit corporation in Washington State and will explain how these rules can and do affect your PTA.
This is one of the most important classes you will take every year.
• Learn what it means to be a non-profit organization registered with the State of Washington. How do you maintain non-profit status? What laws must your PTA obey?
• If you write a newsletter, run a raffle, work on an event with student helpers, serve alcohol at an event, enter into any contracts, file taxes with the IRS, or hold meetings YOU NEED TO ATTEND THIS CLASS!
• Laws and regulations change every year, so whether you went last year or haven’t been in a few years or have never been to this class, this presentation is for any officer or committee chair.
• PTA and the Law attendance by one elected officer per local PTA or council is required by the WSPTA. Don’t miss the opportunity to meet this requirement!
Each PTA/council will receive two PTA & the Law Handbooks only.
The Shoreline Conference (PTA & the Law + classes) will be March 12 at the Shoreline Center. Have a class or topic you want to see presented? Email me!!
- Monday, February 8, 2016 from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM (PST) - Add to Calendar
- Eastside Foursquare Church - 14520 100th Avenue NE Bothell, WA 98011 - View Map
Council Needs Your Help
We have an Awards Committee.
We have a Mid-Year Financial Review Committee.
We need a Nominating Committee.
AND... we need your help in identifying people who would be great for Council.
Please promote PTA Council to your Boards and/or invite us to your next meeting to give a 5-minute introduction to what Council does and needs.
Save the Date
This is an event pulled together by a couple of Meridian Park parents, who then rallied Shorewood and Shorecrest to put on this documentary screening. See the flyer below...
Join Shorewood PTSA on Sunday, March 6 at 5:00 p.m. in the Shoreline Center Auditorium for a screening of The Mask You Live In http://therepresentationproject.org/film/the-mask-you-live-in/ , a documentary about how we raise boys. The film is recommended for parent/ guardians and is appropriate for students 14 and up. Tickets are $7 and available from Brown Paper Tickets http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2489292 . High school students with school ID will be admitted free.
Food trucks will be in the Shoreline Center parking lot starting at 4:00 p.m. A 45-60-minute panel discussion will follow the 90-minute movie.
Whether boys are directly instructed on how to “be a man” or they infer messages from the world around them, they learn that some behaviors are acceptable and others are not. The Mask You Live In examines the culturally constructed definition of masculinity as it is presented through athletics, movies, music, gaming, schools, online material, and other areas of modern life.
Shorewood PTSA hopes that this film will spark conversation and reflection in our community. The film is for anyone who is concerned about how we raise young people in today’s world, not only parents of boys. If you have questions, please contact Shorewood PTSA Co-Communications Director Marianne Stephens via email@example.com.
Barnes & Noble is in their eighth year in sponsorship of this contest. This is a writing contest for middle and high school students recognizing a teacher that has made them feel safe and valued while inspiring them to discover and develop their talents. Entries should be 500 words or fewer and submitted with the entry form provided and should be provided to your local Barnes & Noble or mailed by March 1.
The student with the winning essay, poem, or thank-you letter will receive a $500 Barnes & Noble Gift Card and a NOOK.
The winning teacher will be recognized at an event at their local Barnes & Noble. Regional winners will receive a $500 Barnes & Noble Gift Card. The winner of the National Teacher of the Year award will receive $5000 at a special event. The winning teacher's school will receive $5000 as well.
How can Council help you? Give us your ideas, your feedback, your needs, concerns, and triumphs.
Important to know:
FedEx discount code: 0520882103!
2/7 - Syre
2/14 - Shorecrest
2/21 - Ridgecrest
2/28 - Echo Lake
3/6 - Kellogg
3/13 - Shorewood
3/20 - Parkwood
3/27 - Briarcrest
4/3 - Special Needs
4/10 - Highland Terrace
4/17 - Lake Forest Park
4/24 - Children's Center
5/1 - Meridian Park
5/8 - Cascade K8
|Mark Your Calendars
Monday 2/8, 7 pm: School Board Meeting Agenda
Monday 2/15: President’s Day
February 15-19 Mid-Winter Break
Monday 2/22, 7 pm: PTA Council Meeting, Alumni Room
Thursday 2/25: Superintendent Coffee, Sherrick Room
Monday 2/29, 7 pm: School Board Meeting
Other training opportunities (you can attend in any Region, if there is a location and date that is more convenient for you):
Region 6 Leadership conference at Shoreline Center on 3/12
Tour the Fircrest Activities Building
February 9, 4 p.m.
Fircrest Residential Habilitation Center
15230 15th NE, Shoreline, WA, 98155
This is a rare opportunity to tour the activities building at Fircrest. Jeff Flesner, the new Superintendent, will show participants what is inside the building, including the basketball court, gym, stage, bleachers, meeting rooms, kitchen, banquet room, and the two swimming pools ( currently closed). Jeff will also answer questions about how the facility can be used. To get to the activities building, enter the main Fircrest gate off 15th Avenue NE (between NE 152st and 152nd Street). Take a sharp left, and the building is on the right. Meet in front of the building at 4 p.m.
ELL Family Engagement Boot Camp
The ELL Family Engagement Boot Camp is a professional development seminar for pre-school and K-12th educators, counselors, school staff, Family Engagement Coordinators, community partners and other professionals working with immigrant and refugee students and families.
Screening of The Mask You Live In
When: Friday, February 26th 9:00 am to 3:30 pm
Location: Shoreline Center, Shoreline - Highlander Room
Cost: $ 115 Breakfast and lunch included
Instructors - Adie Simmons and WAFCET staff
What you will learn: Equity and cultural competence, how to form relationships with immigrant and refugee families, how families view the American school system, how to work effectively with interpreters and translators, the culturally-relevant ways to partner with families, and more.
Sunday, March 6, 5 pm
Explores how our culture's narrow definition of masculinity is harming our boys, men and society at large and unveils what we can do about it.
Details to come. We'll need your help advertising this event!
LGBT Family Welcome Dinner