The Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) review cycle resumes this year. States Parties will meet at the Vienna International Centre (United Nations) in Vienna from May 2-12 for the first preparatory meeting for the 2020 Review Conference (NPT Prep Com).
Registration for the conference closes on April 14. Contact us by April 13 if you plan to attend and would like to be on the PNND delegation.
The NPT and the 2018 UN High Level Conference
PNND, Basel Peace Office and UNFOLD ZERO have submitted a joint working paper to the NPT Prep Com on The NPT and the 2018 UN High Level Conference on Nuclear Disarmament. The paper:
- Highlights the opportunity provided by the High Level Conference (HLC) to make progress on a range of nuclear disarmament measures;
- Notes the success of UN HLCs on climate change (which achieved the Paris Agreement), sustainable development (which adopted the Sustainable Development Goals) and refugees & migrants (which achieved the New York Declaration);
- Proposes a mix of nuclear risk-reduction and disarmament measures that could be adopted at the HLC;
- Calls on States Parties to the NPT and civil society to begin preparations now for the HLC to ensure its success.
PNND events at the NPT Prep Com
PNND, Basel Peace Office and UNFOLD ZERO will hold three side events at the NPT Prep Com in Vienna:
- Parliamentary actions for nuclear disarmament - Friday, 5 May 13:15-14:30
- Planning for the 2018 UN High Level Conference on Nuclear Disarmament - Tuesday, 9 May 13:15-14:30
- Nuclear risk reduction in Europe including a European NWFZ - Thursday, 11 May 13:15-14:30