St Thomas Railway City Rotary Club Minutes - November 10, 2021
Attendance: Kathy, Al, Diane, Bill, Wade, Eleanor, Ann, Sue, Roland, Scott, Sandy, Paul, Mark, Dagmar, Bob and Helen
Guests: Jeff Yurek, MPP
Welcome -President Paul @ 5:30 pm
Scott welcomed Jeff Yurek who is a pharmacist at Yurek Pharmacy. He has previously held positions in government of Minister of Forestry, Minister of Environment, and Minister of Natural Resources.
Presentation: Provincial Government Update
- Update on Covid -88% in Elgin have had first dose behind London who are 91%. Boosters now available to age 70 and over.
- Update on LTC-30,000 new places will be available for LTC, building new LTC homes, there will be a new standard of 4 hrs of direct care for every resident per day starting Jan 22. (When staffing levels built up). College incentives for more PSWs and more nurses at college and university. Resident Bill of Rights. New fines for offences committed in LTC. Three million given to Elgin County for new staff for LTC. Valleyview getting new HVAC system.
- New funding for MRI at STEGH
- Elgin County Health team to replace LHIN
- Land freed up between Edward Rd and Aylmer for development (Agricultural and industrial)
- Child care- new day care places in Dorchester and Rodney
- Old auto plant site- new development will create 1600 jobs
Members had questions and comments.
Paul thanked Jeff for his informative talk.
Financial Report - Helen
Polio Challenge – get money to Helen asap.
Helen received money from the District grant for comfort packs.
Art and wine night planned to raise money for Hospice. Sandy needs donated art by Nov. 17th. Ann has put together 5 beautiful baskets. Please feel free to attend with family or friends on the night to make it more fun. Sandy needs more help with the online auction. She is hoping Wade can assist with technical support and Al Hughson has volunteered to be the auctioneer for free.
Anyone who makes a $5000 personal donation or more to the hospice will receive recognition on the board.
Fundraising - Paul
Jackpot Bingo- Eleanor
International - Mark F
Local Community Service - Sandy
Inn out the Cold (Paul) – Sue to deliver meals to the Inn on Nov. 21, Wade, Dec. 5, need someone for Dec. 19. Paul reported that the freezers have been purchased and are stored with Freemans. They are being moved on Nov. 24. Helen reported that there is still about $600 left to spend. Paul stated that the Inn’s priority items are coffee urns, soup urns, and carts. He is going to price up some items and use the rest of the money to purchase for the Inn.
Lindsey Rice of the YWCA wanted to know if the Rotary club would like to help out again this year and will provide a list of toys needed.
Christmas lights Pinafore park (Scott)-Nov. 27 noon to 6:00pm. Rotary club to decorate Splash pad again. There will be electricity do not need a generator. Scott to touch base with Bill Horne.
Apples For Christmas care (Wade) –packing Dec. 4 or 11. Splitting deliveries over the two weeks. Need volunteers to help with deliveries on Dec. 17 or 21 10:00 am-1:00 pm. Wade to send an email.
Salvation Army Kettles (Roland)-date to be determined with email to follow
Sandy reported that she is going to have to spend less time on community committee work.
Christmas market this Sat Nov. 13 between 12:00pm and 6:00pm. First shift 11:30am-3:00pm. Diane reported that on Facebook website almost 900 people said they were coming. Please bring your own safety vest if you have one. Need pool noodles broken up into manageable sizes. Wildflowers is charging $5 a person and $10 a family which will be collected at the gate. Diane will be at the gate with another staff member from Wildflowers. Jane is trying to get another parking lot. Do not need vaccination passport to go to bathroom but if you are eating inside you need it. Wear Christmas clothing and bring a flashlight if working late shift.
Horton Street Market- Sandy
Rotary Youth Exchange - Al G
(Wade and Al)- did interviews and Hannah Kennedy is moving forward.
Social Media - Sue B.
Administration - Bill C
Happy Birthday Sue Nov. 19
Members had Happy Bucks!
The meeting was adjourned at 6:32 pm.
Respectfully submitted by:
Minutes taken by:
Kathy Wilson (Court)