St Thomas Railway City Rotary Club Minutes - November 13, 2019
Attendance: Helen C, Roger C, Diane C, Bill C, Anna C, Al G, Scott C, Curtis R, Sandy W, Paul N, Ann L, Mark F, Barb C, Sue B Regrets: Eleanor R, Natalie R Guests: Lisa Matchim (host mom), Joan Fisher (London South)
Welcome - President Scott @ 5:30pm O' Canada 4 Way Test
Diane introduced our guest speaker Helen Campbell. Helen shared her personal story about Polio and how it affected her mom and her whole family. A truly inspirational message!
- the last case of Polio in Canada was in 1979. In 1980's Rotary International took on the goal to immunize every child, starting in the Philippines.
- we are very close to eradicating this disease (it costs $1/child)
- 2 Countries where it is left right now is Afghanistan and Pakistan; unfortunately the numbers are up a bit this year but we are getting close to eradication.
- If we stopped immunizing, it is predicted that Polio will return to 200,000 cases in 10 years.
- Joan Fisher described her efforts to coordinate a Polio Display at the Children's Museum which included an Iron Lung. This display was available over World Polio Day for 10 days at the end of October.
- Sandy suggested that explore ways to video Helen's presentation about Polio to share with the public.
- December 18, 2019 STRCRC Christmas Party
- Diane reported that our Christmas Party is a go, fully catered Christmas Dinner; byo plates and cutlery; $25 pp - please bring a guest; your choice of FUN or FANCY - prizes for both categories . Invites will be emailed out this week.
- RSVP by Dec. 4th, 2019 to Sue. Money goes to Helen
- Helen announced all 4 District Grants have been approved
- Scott challenged each member to look for and invite prospective new members - please take and hand out our updated membership brochures
Fundraising - Paul N
- Paul reminded members that we each need to take and sell tickets for our Dinner of the Month Draw
International - Mark F
Local Community Service - Sandy
December 14, 2019 @ 9:00 am - Apple packing at Elgin Centre (all hands on deck - bring a friend too!)
Rotary Youth Exchange - Al G
- Sue and Al provided updates re: RYE - check our private Facebook page for updates on Lauren and Scott's adventures
- Anna gave her monthly report which told members about her many different activities at home, school and with Rotary
- Anna won her Inbound competition at the District Conference for her Italy display - so she won a trip to Toronto with a Rotary Family; Anna has been participating in Interact meetings and activities as well as our own hands on service.
Administration - Bill C
- Scott's challenge to our Club was to collect $1500 which he would match. Tonight's total was $1387 and member Mark Fagan enthusiastically offered to round it up to $1500 so we cold make his target. This will be matched by RI and then the Bill/Melinda Gates Foundation, making our Club's collection of $1500 turn into $9000. That is incredible! We just helped 9000 children!
- Diane and Bill Chantler leave November 14th, for Friendship Rotary Trip to South Africa for 2 weeks
- Joan Fisher encouoraged us to check out London Rotary Auction (londonrotaryauction.com)
- November 17th, 2019 - Anna moves to her second host family: Karen and Richard Auckland in Talbotville
- January 8th, 2019 - Anna's presentation about her home town and country of Italy