St Thomas Railway City Rotary Club Minutes - October 9, 2019
Attendance: Diane C, Bill C, Sue B, Brian G, Wade C, Mark F, Anna C (RYE), Al G, Eleanor R, Scott C, Ann L, Helen C, Roger C, Sandy W Regrets: Natalie Guests: Andrew and Marco Valdez, Curtis Rohl
Polio Week Flag Raising, St. Thomas City Hall, Thursday, October 24, 2019 @11:45 AM
***lunch to follow at Legends
Welcome - President Scott @5:30pm O' Canada - Helen C 4 Way Test - Mark F
Guest Speaker - Liz Brown, Violence Against Women Services Elgin County
- Bill introduced our speaker, Liz Brown. We learned a lot about Services for Violence Against Women. As Director of the St. Thomas-Elgin Women’s Place Emergency Shelter, Liz shared stats about domestic violence in Elgin County and Ontario. She described services our local shelter offers to women, children and men. Counselling support is available 24/7. We also heard some great ideas for how our community can volunteer and donate items needed at the Shelter. Anyone wishing to make a meal in their community kitchen or donate gently used in-season clothing and new Women’s Pyjamas should contact Women’s Place at 519-633-0155.
- Diane presented Wade his 6+1 Ruby Paul Harris Fellow Pin. 5 years ago, Wade set a personal goal and he has surpassed this! Wade’s accomplishment has made a significant difference.Bravo Wade!
- Anna presented her first oral monthly report to our club, outlining what she has done since her arrival on Aug. 27th
- Scott presented two items – 1 for celebration- great PR in the Elgin this Month magazine about our donation to the Elevated Park
- Scott present idea about Roll-A-Hippo as a possible idea for our International Project. This costs $150 and is a container that is easier to roll/ move into community for water gathering vs. Carrying tanks on heads to get water
- Sandy reported that the Inn Out of the Cold will open for year round , beginning Oct. 22nd. Paul will circulate schedule for us to sign up for the meal support on 2 Sunday evenings per month
- Al reported that interviews for RYE out-bound students went well. We are sending 3 students to District Interviews on Nov. 9th
- Wade that Nov. 2nd will be a busy day for our club- please sign up for what you can do! - We will have Eat To Learn packaging of vegetables for the schools’ fundraiser- to be done at Great Lake Farms + We will have 2 hour shifts at RONA to distribute Poppies and we will have two shifts at Bingo in the evening. Please let Eleanor know if you can work one of those shifts (see email). Wade will send out sign out schedules for our morning events.
-Al reported that our Dictionary Project will be delivered on Oct 17/22/23. Anyone wishing to go out to schools to help Sue and Al on those dates, please let us know. Times are being confirmed. We will be donating dictionaries to 8 schools.
Fundraising - Paul N
International - Mark F
Local Community Service - Sandy
Rotary Youth Exchange - Al G
Administration - Bill C
Upcoming Meeting Dates
October 16, 2019 - Committee/Board Meeting, Ann's induction plus discussion about Shamrock Shuffle
October 23, 2019 - Victim Services Elgin, Natalie Redman
October 30, 2019 - Halloween Event
November 2, 2019 - "Vibrant Club Seminar" will be held (replaces Learning Assembly)
November 6, 2019 - Nov. 6th- Speaker Sue and Diane “Ronald McDonald House” + Baking Activity at 7- 9 p.m. We have room for 10 bakers to carpool into RMcH with us. (must be 16 year and over). Please let us know if you or your partner would like to join this fun event. All baking gets frozen and served daily at RMH and in the Family Room in LHSC Sick Kids Floor. It’s a fun way to help create a sense of normal for these families. Please let Sue know if you can join us .