St Thomas Railway City Rotary Club Minutes - December 11, 2019
Attendance: Helen C, Al G, Curtis R, Paul N, Ann L, Mark F, Roger C, Sue B, Bill C, Eleanor R, Barb C, Brian G Regrets: Diane C, Scott C, Natalie R, Wade C, Sandy W Guests: N/A
Welcome - Bill C @ 5:30 pm O' Canada 4 Way Test
- Helen reminded members that Wade needs a final count for clothing orders tonight
- Helen reminded us that invoices were sent by email for the new rate of $125/ 6 months
- these need to be received before December 31, 2019. Please send a cheque to Helen, bring it along to next week's meeting or send an etransfer to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Club Christmas Party: Dec. 18th - please come to CASO station if you have reserved your ticket(s) for 5:30; full Christmas Dinner plus cash bar; prizes for most FUN or FANCY wear, so pick what you want to be dressed in! In Lieu of gift exchange , we are doing a Club donation to the Women's Shelter. Please bring either a new pair of women's PJ's or a sock donation if you are able. We will have host families #1, #2, and #3 with us including host brother Jackson, sisters Abigail and Sophie. Anna will be given her Christmas gift from the Club at this party
- Eleanor reported that our Bingo shifts are covered for December.
- Discussion about Club Communication- both info/ in house and public/ PR. 2 different needs. Sue asked for Club Feedback. What works best? Currently we are using email, social media (Facebook) and the Train Whistle plus our Web Site. It’s hardest to keep the Web Site updated as there is a link to the Facebook page which is easiest to keep updated. Wade has access to the website. Members were OK with that continuing with Facebook as our main social media but wondered if the Coming Events section on the Website could be used/ updated to entice anyone that is checking us out to see when we have speakers/ topics upcoming. Sue suggested that she starts adding Instagram photos and updates because potential new younger members are more likely to use Instagram. She will contact George K. who created our Instagram Page for password and login info. She agreed to get this going. Members love seeing photos (especially of our RYE kids in action) but not everyone uses Facebook which is where Sue posts their photos. We have two Facebook pages (One is private for club members and RYE families), the other is public.
The general consensus is that email and the Train Whistle is best as it gets to ALL of the members. Suggestion was to post photos each week in the Train Whistle. Sue will start sending these to Natalie to be included wherever possible
- Al G moved to cancel our next 2 meetings to honour the holidays (Dec. 25th & January 1st) Helen second - all in favour
Fundraising - Paul N
- Dinner of the Month Draw tickets on sale
- Helen reported that we were sent $1725 for November’s Bingo. Thanks to our volunteers for filling these shifts. Big thanks to Ann for working extra shifts in many different roles at the IOTC.
International - Mark F
Local Community Service - Sandy
- December 14, 2019 @ 9:00 am - Apple packing at Elgin Centre (all hands on deck - bring a friend too!)
Rotary Youth Exchange - Al G
- Things are going well for Anna. She has settled into her second host family and is getting more involved in school events. She loved attending the Semi Formal Dance. Sue announced that as Co-Chairs of the RYE committee, Al and Sue have agreed to complete their commitment to the idea of this being a pilot program for 2 years before reviewing and deciding whether STRCRC will continue with this program. Acknowledging the expense and time commitment all around, we want to ensure that members are given the voice and vote as to whether we should continue it. This means that we will host one more inbound student after Anna, while sending two outbounds during 20/21 school year. In June 2021 we will ask for Club input and vote if this RYE is to continue. Our RYE committee welcomes new members! - Seminar for Tomorrow’s Leaders (formerly RYLA) Al reported that the is confirmed for May 8-10th weekend at UWO, London. Lead organizer is now Danielle Bork. Sue has contacted Danielle to reserve 6 potential spots (1 for Anna and 5 for interested applicants). Registrations to be confirmed in January. Thank you to our sponsors!
Administration - Bill C
- Dec. 29th Last Day for Dues to be paid as we have to update membership numbers with RI.The Club gets billed on this number so we need it to be accurate.Please don’t pay late.
- Anyone who can pop into the Civic Awards following the meeting is welcome to. Sandy Westaway and the Interact Students are both getting an award.
- Happy Birthday to Natalie (Dec. 25th)
- Anna will be presenting on January 8th. Please plan to attend to learn about Italy and her home/ family. *** Microphone, speakers and tech support are requested