If you have questions, events you want to share on this list, or you have friends who want to join, please email us.
The National Trust for Canada Conference: Heritage Energized
Registration for the National Trust Conference is now open; the conference is taking place here in Calgary October 22-24. Register here.
Unable to attend National Trust Conference 2015? You can still catch the inspiring Keynote Address and Reception. Tickets only $15.00!
Path to the Future: Heritage, Sustainability and Society Keynote Speaker: Vincent L. Michael, PhD
Thursday, October 22, 2015 (7:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.) Jack Singer Concert Hall, Arts Commons (205 - 8th Avenue, Calgary, Alberta)
Don’t miss this internationally recognized expert who will share his vision for how heritage is essential to our future. Meet community revitalization and heritage professionals and volunteers from across Canada.
Dr. Michael is a prominent leader in the international heritage conservation field. For the last three years he was Executive Director of the Global Heritage Fund in Palo Alto, California, which works to conserve heritage sites as economic assets for developing regions of the world. His keynote address – Path to the Future: Heritage, Sustainability and Society - will explore how stewardship of our heritage resources is essential for our global future. Reception to follow. Cash Bar.
E&R Newsletter Report – Properties Evaluated June 2015 and September 2015
The following property was evaluated for addition to the City’s Inventory of Evaluated Historic Resources in July 2015 and approved by the CHA Board at its July 2015 meeting.
Black Block (1904) 1210-9th Avenue SE (evaluation - Community Historic Resource) The Black Block, with its continuous use as a retail storefront with residential suites above, possesses value for its association with mixed use activity for over a century. As part of the streetscape of heritage buildings on 9th Avenue – some restored and others not yet restored - it contributes to the Avenue’s historical status as Calgary’s first main street. Established in the early 1880’s, and originally known as Atlantic Avenue, the street was the earliest commercial district in Calgary and the heart of the Inglewood community.
The following properties were evaluated for addition to the City’s Inventory of Evaluated Historic Resources in September 2015 and approved by the CHA Board at its October 2015 meeting.
Cliff Bungalow School (1920) 2201 Cliff Street SW (re-evaluation – City-Wide Historic Resource). This distinctive bungalow school is a good example of the Arts & Crafts style in the community and is one of three identical extant bungalow schools in the city, all built in 1920. It has activity value as a community educational and social focal point and is a well-loved community landmark.
Fire Hall No. 2 (1911) 1807 Macleod Trail SE (re-evaluation - City Wide Historic Resource). This well-preserved example of Edwardian Classical architecture provided fire protection for surrounding districts and the Exhibition Grounds for 62 years and has housed other service and community organizations for much of its history. It has unique design value as Calgary’s only surviving example of a pre-WWI combined fire hall and police station. Its location along a major thoroughfare and across from the Victoria Park Exhibition Grounds made it a local landmark and as a major public building it was a symbol of Calgary’s progress and prosperity during the pre-World War One economic boom.
Fire Hall No. 3 (1952) 2308 17 Street SE (evaluation - City Wide Historic Resource). The hall provided fire protection to Calgary’s southeast and the area’s many industrial concerns. An eclectic and relatively uncommon example of Modern architecture, combining elements of Art Moderne and International styles, it was Calgary’s first-purpose built fire station constructed since 1913, part of a 1950s major reorganization and expansion of the fire department.
Fire Hall No. 6 (1909) 1111 Memorial Drive NW (evaluation - City Wide Historic Resource). An example of Edwardian Classicism applied to a relatively small and utilitarian public building, the hall provided vital fire protection for Hillhurst-Sunnyside and adjacent North West communities from 1910 until 1964. Its solitary placement along a major thoroughfare, a major intersection, the Louise Bridge and the Bow River makes it a prominent landmark. It is one of three identical fire halls built to address Calgary’s rapid expansion during the pre-WWI economic boom.
James A. Ross Residence (1907) 1421 10 Avenue SE (evaluation - Community Historic Resource). This is a good representative example with high integrity of an Edwardian Gable Front house, featuring steeply-pitched front-facing gable, symmetrical upper storey, asymmetrical first storey, and front porch. It is a tangible reminder of Inglewood’s historic development in the early 20th century as the city’s main industrial centre and residential area.
Joseph E. Wright Residence (1913) 522 18 Avenue SW (Re-evaluation - City Wide Historic Resource). This house is representative of Cliff Bungalow’s early development as a middle-class neighbourhood during Calgary’s first building boom and a good example of a once-common Foursquare dwelling style with features in the style’s earliest and most common subtype. Operated by the Alberta Division of the American Red Cross Society 1922-1929, it was the first “Junior Red Cross” facility in Canada, the first hospital just for children west of Winnipeg, and the founding institution for the Alberta Children’s Hospital, which opened its present 750,000-square-foot facility in 2006.
King Edward School (1912-1913) 1720 30 Avenue SW (re-evaluation - City Wide Historic Resource). This substantial South Calgary landmark establishes the area’s dominant character and is symbolic of Calgary’s increasing maturity and prosperity during the 1909-1913 boom and its expansion into the suburb of South Calgary. It has activity value for its continuous role in education for nearly a century and is associated with its first principal, William Aberhart. It has style value as a typical example of the Free Classical sandstone schools built in Calgary before the First World War; its construction and finishing using local sandstone are representative of widespread use of sandstone for significant buildings in the city which earned Calgary the status of 'Sandstone City'.
In July and August our Chair Scott Jolliffe presented plaques to Rory Gibson of Manhattan Lofts (Pryce-Jones Department Store) and to City of Calgary Recreation Director Kurt Hanson of the Shaganappi Point Golf Course
Join the Chinook Historical Society on Oct 27th for their monthly event. The event is free and no registration is required.