Comment deadline is approaching for NOP's Proposed Rule on Origin of Livestock
The National Organic Program (NOP)'s proposed rule would amend the organic regulations regarding the origin of livestock that produce milk for an organic operation (e.g. heifers/cows, goats, sheep). The NOP will accept written comments on this proposed rule until July 27, 2015. See below for instructions to submit comments.
Highlights of proposed rule:
- A one-time transition of conventional livestock into organic production is allowed per individual producer (i.e. farm or business)
- All dairy animals must end their transition at the same time.
- After one-time transition is complete, no more animals may be transitioned.
- Producers that only raise heifers for organic dairy farms would not be eligible for a one-time transition.
- Non-organic breeder stock must be managed organically when directly contributing to the nourishment of the organic offspring.
How to submit comments:
Comments must be received by 11:59PM ET July 27, 2015.
What to include in written comment
- Clearly identify the docket number (AMS-NOP-11-0009;NOP-11-04PR) and the docket title (USDA NOP Origin of Livestock Proposed Rule)
- More info: View Commenter's Checklist (PDF)
To Submit Online
- Go to www.regulations.gov
- Search for AMS-NOP-11-0009;NOP-11-04PR
- Click “Comment Now”
- Follow the instructions. Type comment into the open text field (up to 5000 characters), or attach a separate file (separate files must reference the docket number AMS-NOP-11-0009;NOP-11-04PR at the top of your comment. Enter other required information: First Name, Last Name, City, Zip Code
To Submit By Mail
- Clearly identify the docket number (AMS-NOP-11-0009;NOP-11-04PR) and the docket title (USDA NOP Origin of Livestock Proposed Rule) at the top of the page.
- Mail to: Scott Updike, Agricultural Marketing Specialist, National Organic Program, USDA-AMS-NOP, Room 2646--So., Ag Stop 0268, 1400 Independence Ave. SW., Washington, DC 20250-0268.
Showcase Your Farm & Photos in PCO's 2016 Photo Calendar!
Fast & Simple Online Submission
Submission Deadline- July 15th
Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall: Feature Your Farm on the Wall
Now is your chance to showcase your organic farm, operation or products to the whole PCO membership, and beyond. We’re looking for photos of what organic means to you during all seasons of the year. The top 14 photos will be chosen by the staff for both covers and the feature photos for each month. Runners up will be highlighted in the calendar grid. All selected photos will receive a photo credit and a storyline.
To submit your photos, click here
. If you have any questions please contact April Fix at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the PCO Office at 814-422-0251.
Farmers, animals, families, fields, flowers, fruits, children, veggies- whatever catches your eye- and is captured on your camera- share it with us!
Submission Deadline: July 15th! Click here
to submit today!
July 15, 10am-2pm
Pasture Walk: Franklin Wadel Farm
1894 Prospect Rd.
Washington Borough, PA 17852
July 28, 6-8:30pm (includes dinner)
Pasture Walk: Oberholtzer Farm
524 Maze Rd
Thompsontown, PA 17094
July 29, 10am-3pm (includes lunch)
Pasture Walk: Stoltzfus (Elmer, Daniel J., John) Farms
125 McHenry Lane
Mill Hall, PA 17751
August 6 & 7
PASA Summer Conference
Reducing Tillage: Practical Tools & Techniques
GARY ZIMMER, MIDWESTERN BIOAG
Centre County Grange Fairgrounds
Centre Hall, PA
August 7 & 8
PA Organic FarmFest & PCO Member Day!
- Michael Smith, Executive Deputy Secretary, PA Dept of Ag
- Hannah Smith-Brubaker, Deputy Secretary for Markets & Economic Development, PA Department of Ag
- Gary Zimmer, Midwestern BioAg
- Coach Smallwood, Rodale Institute
- Andrew Leu, Author of The Myths of Safe Pesticides
- Ken Roseboro, Editor/Publisher of The Organic & Non-GMO Report
Centre County Grange Fairgrounds
Centre Hall, PA
Visit us on Facebook
For a full listing of events, visit the PCO online calendar.
Plastic Recycling! I am taking in the following plastics for packaging and selling into the recycling industry.
- clear and white shrink wrap (separated)
- white bale wrap
- black/white bunker covers and ag bags
- super sacks
- plastic feed bags
- water softener salt bags
- plastic baler twine (no net wrap at this time)
- greenhouse covers, pots, trays
- no hard plastics, mulch plastic, or drip tape
All plastics must be kept separate, as they are not all made of the same chemicals. PLEASE keep these clean and dry! Feel free to contact me with questions, comments, ideas and or to make a delivery appointment. Please no unscheduled drop-offs!
8445 Nyesville Rd Chambersburg, Pa 17202 (located just outside of Orrstown)
FARM FOR SALE
69 acre certified organic grass fed beef farm. Owners are looking for someone to pick up the soul of this farm and improve on it as only a younger person/s can do.
Included is a 23.5 KW Solar system, a full line of farm machinery, and a closed herd (for 20 years) of 55 beef cattle that have been acclimated, bred, and thrive on this farm. Third party certifications on this farm are PCO, AWA and AGA. A five bedroom brick/frame house, barn and out buildings are situated on this Central Pennsylvania Conservancy preserved farm. Owner financing as well as mentoring can be negotiated, so that this farm can continue to provide nourishing food to a growing group of loyal customers. Owners make hay on some 80 acres of certified organic hay fields nearby for winter forage.
email@example.com or 717-536-3618
To see the complete classifieds listings or to post an ad, click here.
A Warm Welcome to Our June New Members
Bion Environmental Technologies, Inc.
Homestead Nutrition, Inc.
Henry J. Brenneman
Joseph R. Conklin
John L. Fisher
Justin C. Geisinger
Isaac Z. Glick
Levi D. Hostetler
Abner S. King
Elmer D. Kinsinger
Steven L. Lapp
Melvin E. Lapp Jr.
Wallie L. Lee
Melinda & Michael Roberts
Menno S. Yoder
Stephen W. Fisher
Jonathan B. Hoover
Amos S. Lapp
Ciro Lo Pinto
Eric Z. Martin
William J. & Mary Ann K. Oyler
David B. Peachey
Sylvanus E. Peachey Jr.
Joseph & Martha Yoder
John S. Zook
Samuel L. Zook
James P. Haman
Joseph S. Hoover
Amos A. King
Samuel E. Stoltzfus
George & Jeanette Swingle
Robert & Linna Walz